Published on April 12th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell0
Painting Furniture: The White Washed Cabinet
As you saw in the shabby chic coffee table post, it’s easy to transform an old piece of furniture from drab to fab. However, you don’t have to redo an entire piece of furniture to give it a new look! Last weekend, I found a cabinet that wasn’t in terrible condition, but needed a little updating. With a few simple steps, I took a boring piece of furniture and gave it new life!
What You Will Need:
1. A piece of furniture you would like to update. I find pieces of furniture all the time at garage sales and thrift stores. This is the piece among all of my garage sale finds from that day:
2. Paint. Use a zero VOC paint, if you can– it’s healthier for you and your home! You can get it in the house paint section at most local hardware stores.
3. For this project, I also used spray paint. Again, spray paint isn’t the greenest, so opt for a low VOC spray paint, if possible.
4. A paint brush
5. A screwdriver
How To Do It:
1. Clean your piece of any dirt or dust.
2. For my piece, it already had a fabulous white wash, so I just painted the top a darker color. This adds a nice modern contrast. You can paint the top of your piece or leave it as is!
3. Remove all of your hardware. I replaced the hardware on this piece with hardware that I found at a thrift store. You could simply paint the existing hardware, though, if it is your style.
4. Then, I spray painted the hardware brown.
5. Once dry, put the hardware back on your piece.
Do you see how painting the top and the hardware brown made it more of a cohesive piece? Plus, it looks more updated and not so blah, right?
Here are some other easy updating ideas:
- Put recycled paper or fabric in the drawers
- Glue recycled paper to the front of the drawers or to the top of a piece
- Add a stencil
- Polish your piece with homemade beeswax wood polish
- Use chalk paint on the top of a piece for a fun and functional touch
What furniture updates have you done before? Share them with us in the comment section below!
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!