Need something sustainably fashionable for that next big event, formal occasion, or fashion show fundraiser? Here’s how I sewed a formal dress for my daughter to model in our town’s Trashion/Refashion Show–from bloomers to bodice, it was created entirely from one silk sheet.
The entire garment is composed of a fitted bodice, a cascading petal skirt in three layers, and a matching pair of bloomers to wear under the dress. The bones of the bodice come from the bodice pattern in Little Girls, Big Style; I sized it down one size to make it more fitted, then added several inches to the length to compensate for the smaller sizing. I cut the sheet so that the interesting detailing from the top hem shows up here–I didn’t want to waste that part of the sheet, and this was the most likely place for it to be included.
I completely lined the bodice using more fabric from the silk sheet (although if I’d known how closely I was going to cut it–literally–by the end of this project, I may not have done this step). I wanted to use as few elements as possible that did not originate with the sheet, so instead of including a zipper in the bodice, I sewed the two shoulder straps only halfway across in the back. The straps are wide enough to provide plenty of support even so, and the extra room I eked out enables the dress to be put on over my daughter’s head without any zippers, buttons, or snaps.
I used the rest of the sheet’s hem for the ruffles on the shoulder straps. Sewn into tubes, the fabric encases sturdy webbing, but is easily four times longer than the webbing, so it naturally scrunched up into ruffly-looking straps that add a lot of volume to the shoulder with little additional weight, and look puffy and soft while remaining quite substantial and supportive.
- 1 2