Published on March 14th, 2012 | by Becky Striepe1
How-to: Reusable Party Streamers from Recycled Felt
Man, I love crafting with recycled felt! It’s colorful, versatile, and best of all every piece of recycled felt helps keep plastic bottles out of the landfill. How could you not love the stuff, right?
One of my very best friends is having a baby in May, and last weekend we threw her a baby shower. Of course, we wanted to make things extra fancy with festive decorations, so a couple of us party planners got together for a crafternoon, where we schemed up the party layout and made some decorations. I had a great time churning out these felt streamers, and they were super simple to make! Here’s how you can make your own.
For one streamer, you’ll need:
- 2-3 9×12″ pieces of recycled felt in various colors
- fabric scissors
- ribbon – You can also use ribbon scraps for this – I’ll show you how in the directions!
- sewing machine and thread
1. Grab your felt and scissors and start cutting out circles. To give this a little bit of extra whimsy, cut out a few different sizes, from around 2″ to 4.5″ wide. To make one streamer, you need about 8-10 circles.
2. It’s time to assemble! I didn’t do any pinning or planning – just stitched these babies up on the fly. If you’re using one long piece of ribbon, cut it to 100″ long. If you’re using shorter pieces, just grab the first piece and a felt circle.
3. To start your streamer, put your ribbon into the machine, leaving an 8″ tail on the end, and slide your first circle underneath it. Put down the presser foot, back stitch a few times, then sew down the middle of the first circle. Sew along the middle of the ribbon for a few inches, then slide the second circle underneath and keep going. Continue until you run out of ribbon or circles.
4. If you’re using ribbon scraps: Depending on the length of your scraps, you might be able to get more than one circle onto each scrap, and you may not. Either way! Start your streamer like in step 3, and when you’re about to run out of ribbon, use your next felt circle as a transition. Overlap the end of one piece of ribbon on top of the circle and start the next piece a little before the bottom. Voila! Any time you run out of ribbon, just do a transition like this.
5. When you reach the end of your streamer, do another few back stitches, pull your streamer out of the machine, trim off the extra thread, and you’re ready to decorate!
What’s extra great about these streamers is that unlike paper ones from the party store, we can use them over and over again, rather than sending them to the bin when it’s time to take down the decorations.
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!