Tutorial + How-to nail polish1

Published on August 18th, 2011 | by Karen Lee

Crafty Uses for Old Nail Polish

I don’t normally wear nail polish because most of them are toxic and the non-toxic ones are a little too steep in price so I don’t buy them.

But recently, my daughter received a box of nail polish as a gift. Supposedly, they are free of the four notorious toxins: Toluene, Formaldehyde, Pthalate, and Camphor. But they smelled nasty. So I read the label and guess what? They still contained a ton of other nasty chemicals. But I felt bad throwing them out so I kept them, hoping I could use them for something.

Here are a couple of ways I decided to use them for crafting…and more.

Practical Uses

1. Stop the run on stockings
  2. Stop fraying ends on fabric.
  3. Dab it on car dings to prevent rusting.
  4. Put a drop on small cracks on car windshields until you can get it replaced. It’ll stop the crack from spreading.
  5. Label your keys.
  6. Label ice cream sticks as plant markers.
  7. Waterproof shipping addresses on packages.
  8. Mark knitting needle sizes.
  9. Emergency glue
  10. Put a huge “X” in red on anything toxic in your house…if you have still have any left.
  11. And now on to the crafty uses!
    Next >>

Tags: , , , , ,

Karen lives a simple, frugal, green life and shares her eco tips and news on ecokaren and is a co-founder of Green Sisterhood, a network of community of green women bloggers, making change. When she's not managing Green Sisterhood or blogging on ecokaren, she is a chauffeur to two greenagers, wife to an accidental recycler, master chef to hungry locavores, seamstress, knitter, and dumpster diver, not necessarily in that order.

7 Responses to Crafty Uses for Old Nail Polish

1. Hellothere says:

I love zoya nailpolish -they probably bought that for you since it is the most popular eco-nailpolish out there…

• Karen says:

Yeah, it might be a popular brand but it still smelled awful. I prefer Scotch brand – no smell and it’s totally water based. Zoya had a ton of chemicals still. Not great for a young girl. But the colors are awesome, aren’t they?

2. Hellothere says:

the colors are definely awesome – i have two colors -i have mermaid that i wear all the time for pedicures and the brillant pastel rich purple

3. Hellothere says:

i like that lockness mystery colot…the misty green and purple are good too…maybe i can get why not to carry their line of nail polish

4. Adrienne says:

I like to use nail polish in any craft where I need a durable, fade-resistant paint. I decorated a plaque in my kids bathroom with nail polish. I also used nail polish on a decoration for my front door, which gets a lot of sun. Hasn’t cracked or faded a bit! :)

5. Pingback: Frugal Yet Cute Key Organization « ihavetriedit

6. Caron says:

I love these ideas! Thanks for sharing.