Published on August 9th, 2011 | by Becky Striepe4
Natural and Organic Sewing Notions: A Resource Guide
We’ve explored some options for natural and organic sewing notions before, but it’s been a while, and there are more options out there than ever!
What are sewing notions? Notions are all of those little bits and bobs that you need in order to complete a sewing project. Things like bias tape, elastic, thread, buttons, and zippers all fall under the category of sewing notions. Basically, if it’s something you’d include in a sewing project, but it isn’t fabric, it’s a sewing notion.
Most of the companies we’ve mentioned in the past still offer eco-friendly sewing notions, but there are some new folks on the scene. There’s also a company that discontinued their line of organic sewing notions and is looking for feedback from you guys on what you’d like to see in their shop!
- Organic Cotton Plus is now taking suggestions on organic cotton sewing notions that customers would like to see. Got suggestions? You can email them at info[@]organiccottonplus.com.
- Fiberactive Organics offers organic thread, yarn, braid, and ribbon.
- Pristine Planet provides organic thread and batting along with wood buttons.
- Near Sea Naturals has all manner of organic sewing notions, from thread to buttons to lace.
- Super Buzzy is an excellent resource for organic thread in a rainbow of colors.
- Compostable Goods carries organic thread and wood buttons.
It’s great to see more and more companies offering organic and natural sewing notions! They used to be so much harder to find! Of course, if you want to green up your sewing without the organic price tag, you can also look for vintage sewing notions. Etsy and Ebay are both excellent resources for tracking down vintage or second hand notions like buttons, ric rac, and bias tape.
Where do you guys like to shop for natural and organic sewing notions? What about vintage notions?