DIY Home + Garden Moss Graffiti

Published on September 22nd, 2010 | by Becky Striepe

Graffiti Art: All Natural Graffiti Made from Moss

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Moss Graffiti Art

I just love a DIY urban beautification project! Whether we’re talking about Kintta’s yarn graffiti or using seedbombs to spread greenery to blighted spaces, I’m struck by how much a little color can impact the urban landscape. Moss graffiti art and moss carvings definitely fall under this umbrella.

Moss Graffiti Art

Unlike spray paint, moss graffiti art is all natural and healthy to work with. You can paint words or images, and the moss fills in like magic! It’s easy as pie to whip up a batch of moss paint. Here’s how:

In your blender, combine:

• One can of cheap beer or 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • A few handfuls of moss
  • One teaspoon of sugar.

Blend until the mixture is smooth, and you’re ready to get painting!

You can use a brush to paint your moss onto concrete walls, rocks, or brick. Mist the moss once a day to help it thrive, and soon your green graffiti will take hold! If you’re looking to take this project to the streets, use caution- we don’t want to be responsible for any vandalism charges!

Moss Carvings

moss carvings

Already have a mossy wall? You can also play around with using that as your canvas and carve a design right into the moss. Use a spoon or a butter knife to carve out your designs. Again, be careful if you’re not on your own property! You don’t want to get in trouble for trespassing.

Have you guys seen other examples of cool, moss graffiti art? Share away in the comments!

You might also like…

Image Credits: Moss Graffiti. Creative Commons photo by webponce, Moss Carvings. Creative Commons photo by greatg

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Tags: , , , , , ,

Hi there! I'm Becky Striepe, a green crafter and vegan foodie living in Atlanta, Georgia with my husband and two cats. My mission is to make eco-friendly crafts and vegan food accessible to anyone who wants to give them a go. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

72 Responses to Graffiti Art: All Natural Graffiti Made from Moss

1. Wendy says:

Oh my! I am totally in love with this idea. Thanks so much for sharing.

2. Pingback: Quick Green Reads For The Weekend Volume 184 | The Good Human

3. irishpoetry says:

We must do all we can to harness the power of nature and this moss painting idea is just excellent. I will try it out at the earliest opportunity and thank you for giving us this.

4. Raen says:

This post is probably old enough that nobody will see this question, but where does one find a few handfulls of moss in the desert?

5. Bbsllc1968 says:

How do you get the letters so perfect? I’m dyin’ to do this but don’t wanna start until I know how to make the letters looks so pretty :0)

6. Will this grow on any concrete wall?  I have concrete walls lining my backyard and would like to do it, but some are in full sun for a majority of the day….

7. Miss Bandit says:

wont the moss grow and spread and to a big blobby mossy mess eventually? and then defeat the whole trying to make a cool design? then i would be sad :(

• Caitlyn says:

eventually, but I would think that would take at least a few months, if not much longer.  you’d have plenty of time to enjoy it, and then you could scrape it all off and do something else

8. My husband has a weird obsession with moss. I think he’d love this!

9. Jackie says:

Wonderful idea. Off to get moss and buttermilk!

10. Brianna says:

is it moss seed or like, moss moss?

11. Caitlyn says:

any idea how long it takes the moss to grow?

12. Bird Arthur says:

lol can imagine the taggers out there all resorting to “MossArt” as a tag….hehehehhee

13. By no means am I a delinquent of any kind… but I really want to write on some buildings that aren’t my own now.  Maybe I’ll write on the junior high across the street, “Knowledge is power.”

14. Ingrid Wilson says:

Another Moss ?: What type of moss is this?  I live in FL and we have spanish moss.  I don’t think that is the same as seen here.  Would it still work?  Thanks for helping.

• Caitlyn says:

the moss she’s using is not spanish moss – it’s a very small plant that grows like a green fuzz on walls and rocks and sidewalk cracks.  I expect it does grow in florida if you keep an eye out for it.

according to wikipedia, spanish moss is not a true moss, but it is an airplant (its gets nutrients from the air, not through its roots) and it can propogate vegetatively (bits of spanish moss can break off and grow into a new plant) so it might work.  It’s probably worth a try – after all, you can always wash it off if nothing happens.  You probably don’t want to blend it into a smooth paste, though – cutting it into short bits might work better.

Let us know if it works!

15. Brookeinfla1 says:

so i did this today but then flies came, did anyone encounter this and how long did it last?

thanks

16. IIJW says:

wonderful technique, can’t wait to try it myself.

17. Pingback: DIY: Moss Graffiti | Doozgle.com

18. Pingback: DIY: Moss Graffiti « visual robots

19. Cara says:

How does moss keep up in the winter? I’d love to do this, but do I have to wait until Spring?

• I wouldn’t try to start moss during the winter. It might do OK if you can get it established before the first freeze and are very attentive with spritzing it, but you may be better off waiting for warmer, damper weather.

• Thanks for the amazing idea and post! I know others asked, but I’d love some more specifics on:
        -What kind of moss to use, how/where to get it, and in what form you throw it into the mix.
        -I’d also like to know what works the best- the beer or buttermilk?
        -And any more specific planting instructions, like when/what time of year. How much light/water it needs on a daily basis, and even how long it takes to sprout and then expand from the original shape.
        Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing back from you. Any details or info on that stuff would be much appreciated! Happy November :)

-Krystal Wight Armstrong
        Cinematic Artist
        Dream | Believe | Create
        KWightArmstrong.com

• I’d use moss that you find in your area. Like Caitlyn says above, you want the green fuzzy find. Just scrape some into a container, and you’re ready to go.
          I’m not sure how buttermilk works. Since I’m vegan, I’ve only done moss milkshakes with beer.
          You want warm, humid weather if possible, so late spring/early summer is probably ideal.
          How long it takes to grow depends on a few factors, like how humid the air is, how much you spritz, and what kind of moss you found. It can take as little as 3 or 4 weeks or as long as 8 weeks, so be patient! :)

20. Pingback: Growth «

21. Alaia de Tiras says:

Hi there – quick question, and it may be a silly one. I’m assuming after ‘painting’ you’re spritzing the area regularly with with just the beer/sugar mixture (sans moss)? Obviously it’d have to be only on the letters, because otherwise the moss would spread…just wondering how you’d do it in the beginning since the moss wouldn’t have taken hold so quickly (might be difficult to see where to spray) – without using outlines or something.

• Yep! just spritz it with the water/sugar mixture. You don’t have to be super precise, but you might try to spritz just the moss. It shouldn’t spread too much. At first, you can spritz the whole area without worrying too much. Since, like you said, the moss hasn’t taken hold, it will most likely start growing where you painted it. The spreading shouldn’t be an issue so early on.

22. Elizabeth says:

Is this easy to remove? I want to try it out on the balcony of my apartment, my husband said I could if I asked the landlords. I figure they’ll want to be sure it comes off easily in order to allow it. Does it just scrape off? Is there any chance of being overcome with unwanted moss?

23. Kristin says:

Oh my goodness this is amazing and genius!! Thanks so much for sharing!

24. Leslie says:

Will this only work on concrete and brick? What about a wood fence?

25. Charissa says:

This is the most amazing idea! I will have to do this with my kids. Thank you for sharing!

26. Alice says:

I can’t wait to try this….but really don’t wanna put moss in my blender. Any tips on how to mix it evenly without putting it in the blender?
    Thanks

27. How timely, I collected some moss only 5 hours ago. I intenden to keep and grow then apply to an plant pot or sculpture later on this winter. It is part of a intention to redesign my front garden. While quite wide, it fills only about 4 feet between tall house and the street. The removing and replacing plants will be expensive and lengthy. Maybe I could begin by posting a moss message saying ,”Time will tell” on the plaster wall.

28. Kelly says:

What does this whole quote say?

29. Kendra says:

How long does it take for the moss to grow? I want to do this for a student project and my exhibition is March 30th.

30. paul says:

do i have to blender it with its roots and the soil? pls reply. :D

31. Kendra says:

Nobody ever seems to answer the question…how long does it take to grow…please reply

32. I’m loving the look of this moss scape. Thanks for sharing all your information and to everyone else who asked the questions that crossed my mind too! Appreciated.

33. Pingback: Green Graffiti?? « Save the Date Products & Wedding Planning Resources for Every Bride

34. Anna says:

I love this idea too! can’t wait to give it a try

35. Rob says:

Please reply,
    How long does it take to grow?

36. Tricia says:

Seriously, the one question repeated over and over, how long will it take to grow. I suppose I’ll come back and answere if mine does! I did this yesterday and as of now it looks like mud, I can’t wait for it to get green so my neighbors will stop wondering why I painted the word “wonderment” with mud on a highly visible wall!!! I painted it under a walk way to my front door but realized it does get quite a bit of sun mid day, is it neccisary to keep moist 24/7, can it be dry a few hours? I’m having trouble keeping up with that in Colorado! I was so excited to find moss here though, deep in the mountains. It’s a desert where I live!

37. Tiffany Van Watermulen says:

Okay so I think im going to try and use this technique for my wedding arrangements…. I was wondering if this would work on wood or cloth? I want to try to make an aisle runner and table runners…. what advice do you have for going about this?

38. Pingback: Eco-Friendly Moss Graffiti « in.gredients

39. Cathy Scholtens says:

I tried this, and it has been 2 weeks, still nothing. I have been sprinking it with a fine mist sprinkler… site gets partial sun so that may be a problem. I also added some hydrating gel to the mix. I think I may have gotten it to thin. May paint over it with a better mixture.

40. wanda says:

I’d like to try this. But the apartment folk would like to know if it’ll come off…does it? Can I help it come off faster?

41. Alexandra says:

This is amazing. Who came up with this? I so curious! I think this would make a great gift for someone you love. A moss heart on an old wooden board for Valentines. :)

42. Alexandra says:

I love this. I want to try this!

43. Pingback: Worldly Wednesday: Moss Graffiti | Bonnie Inc. Furniture & Design

44. ellen says:

can you use any kind of moss..like the stuff they sell in bags in the stores or does it have to be fresh… id love to buy some of the purple moss in a bag to do some designs but would it work

45. Pingback: Going Green with Graffiti | The Indigo Perspective

46. Pingback: Earth Day Crafts | Crafting a Green World

47. Liv says:

Does anyone know what kind of moss should be used in a reasonably hot but humid environment such as Darwin, Australia? I’m doing a creative arts assignment on my choice of Natural graffiti art!

48. Chelle says:

Cool idea! What kind of moss do you use and where do you get it?

49. Pingback: DIY Wedding: 55 Chalkboard Ideas for Your Wedding! | hometips.co.za

50. Pingback: Wall of moss – sammalseinä » Lusikallinen