Fabrics necktie bag. cc photo by flickr user pineblossoms

Published on April 27th, 2010 | by Becky Striepe

Fab Fabrics: Vintage Neckties

necktie bag

If you’re a thrift store junkie like me, surely you’ve spent some time ogling the lovely old necktie selection at your local Goodwill. They can feature patterns from the classy to the hilarious, and they all have beautiful textures to work with. Here are some project ideas that make use of those lovely vintage neckties.

Whether you combine them with other fabrics, like in the photo above, or stitch them together in a quilt formation, neckties make for lovely purses. If you run across a pattern that you really love, you can carefully disassemble the tie so the fabric will cover more of the bag. If you go this route, you’ll want to use a sturdy lining, like organic cotton or hemp, since most tie fabrics are quite thin.

A necktie also works well as a strap for a tote or messenger bag. You can either tuck the ends into the bag’s lining, or stitch the strap on the outside to show off all of its glory.

You can use similar techniques to the tote bag ideas and turn a stash of old neckties into an awesome quilt or throw pillow. How fancy would your couch or favorite chair look with a colorful necktie accessory of its own?

Of course, there’s always the popular necktie skirt. Again, you can quilt the ties together for an eclectic look. A necktie would make a really cool waistband, if you’re feeling a bit more funky. You could even add the tie as a detail, almost like an applique.

Have you done necktie related crafts? We’d love to hear all about them!

[Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by pineblossoms]

Tags: , , , , ,

My name is Becky Striepe (rhymes with “sleepy”), and I am a crafts and food writer from Atlanta, Georgia with a passion for making our planet a healthier, happier, and more compassionate place to live. My mission is to make vegan food and crafts accessible to everyone!. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

16 Responses to Fab Fabrics: Vintage Neckties

1. Tracy says:

Love this! I bought my hubby and brother in law neck tie wallets lined with vintage suit fabric for Christmas and they loved them.

2. Tracy says:

3. Pingback: Fab Fabrics: Vintage Neckties

4. Pingback: Fab Fabrics: Vintage Neckties

5. Lynn says:

I just brought home a bunch of ties of my dad’s. He died about a year and a half ago and I couldn’t stand the idea of the ties being given away. Haven’t had time yet to make something, but I will. Just have to decide what and when! Thanks for the inspiration!

6. Lynn says:

7. lindy says:

LOVE this… WANT this… where’s the pattern so I can MAKE this??? lol… too cute!

…scatter joy…
    collagecafe04.blogspot.com

8. lindy says:

LOVE this… WANT this… where’s the pattern so I can MAKE this??? lol… too cute!

…scatter joy…
    collagecafe04.blogspot.com

9. Pingback: Friday Links – Recycle Your Tees, Save Your Pennies and Gifts For Mom

10. Pingback: Friday Links – Recycle Your Tees, Save Your Pennies and Gifts For Mom

11. Simply LUV this purse. So much texture and the color palate is warming to my spirit. Love the creative addition of the ties. I have often admired the various prints and patterns on men’s ties and even went thru a phase of wearing them myself. Reconstructing with different looks and feels can truly be fun!

12. Simply LUV this purse. So much texture and the color palate is warming to my spirit. Love the creative addition of the ties. I have often admired the various prints and patterns on men’s ties and even went thru a phase of wearing them myself. Reconstructing with different looks and feels can truly be fun!

13. Pingback: Fab Fabric: Upholstery Samples : Crafting a Green World

14. Pingback: Fab Fabric: Upholstery Samples : Crafting a Green World

15. Cliff Spears says:

The necktie skirt always fascinates me – I mean, I bet no man ever imagined that his necktie would actually look good as a skirt. My wife actually bought one made of gold ties and it looks amazing on her. If you also search in the internet, you’d see tons of gowns made of neckties! Whoever thought of this first is a genius.

16. Cliff Spears says: