Books + Magazines Crafty Reuse: Recycled Valentine’s Day Pop Up Card [VIDEO]

Published on January 6th, 2010 | by Becky Striepe

Crafty Reuse: Recycled Valentine’s Day Pop Up Card [VIDEO]

Is it too soon to be thinking about Valentine’s Day? I sure hope not, because today I ran across an awesome video tutorial for making your own pop up Valentine’s Day card from old magazines and one of those cardboard Priority Mail envelopes! Check it:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/v/oWR8EwkAHa0&hl=en_US&fs=1&]

Green It Up!

There were a couple of supplies in the video that need a little greening up to make this a really ecofriendly project. First, it looks like she’s got a brand new envelope, but I’m sure you could round up a used one with the holidays not that far behind us. Otherwise, any light, scrap cardboard would do! Think cereal boxes, beer boxes, or frozen food containers.

I’m also not a big fan of spray adhesives. That’s some pretty nasty stuff! Instead, you might use a glue stick, which is a bit better, or make yourself a mod podge mixture by thinning some Ecoglue with water.

If you don’t have any magazines lying around, you might use junk mail or even old book pages!

Do you guys have any recycled Valentine’s Day goodness in the works? Do tell!

Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by splorp

Tags: , , , , ,

My name is Becky Striepe (rhymes with “sleepy”), and I am a crafts and food writer from Atlanta, Georgia with a passion for making our planet a healthier, happier, and more compassionate place to live. My mission is to make vegan food and crafts accessible to everyone!. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

16 Responses to Crafty Reuse: Recycled Valentine’s Day Pop Up Card [VIDEO]

1. Lyra says:

I’m glad you mentioned the spray adhesive because that sort of jumped out at me as something not-so-green. On the whole though, a great project and great for those that want to do something a little different than tradition red, pink, and lace. :)

2. Lyra says:

3. Office Art says:

You can make handmade cards from the junk mail flyers from seed companies. Just cut out the pretty stuff and recycle the rest. Add some of your own art imbelishments. Not just for Valentine’s day. Birthday cards, Get Well cards, and even Christmas cards can be made of “found” stuff. Look out, Hallmark!

4. Office Art says:

5. Tamara says:

Nice job on the video. Good idea! Thank you.

6. Tamara says:

Nice job on the video. Good idea! Thank you.

7. Shocked says:

Umm, misusing free Priority mail supplies is a federal crime.

How about using a used one instead.

For the honest users of priority supplies, I resent it that the fees just went up, because of people that take them and use them for everything but mailing priority.

I really think this is NOT a green idea, because of the theft of postal supplies.

8. Shocked says:

Umm, misusing free Priority mail supplies is a federal crime.

How about using a used one instead.

9. Thanks, Shocked! That is actually addressed in the “Green It Up” portion under the video. I appreciate you highlighting that point, though, because you’re totally right. Stealing is not very green at all.

10. Thanks, Shocked! That is actually addressed in the “Green It Up” portion under the video. I appreciate you highlighting that point, though, because you’re totally right. Stealing is not very green at all.

11. Lucy says:

I would like to share Robert Sabuda’s Pop-up Templates http://www.robertsabuda.com/popmakesimple.asp

I sure hope your eyes are as glazed over and twinkling as mine just thinking of the possibilities!!

12. Lucy says:

13. tried to view the valentine video says it is private???????

14. tried to view the valentine video says it is private???????