Fabrics

Published on February 24th, 2009 | by Becky Striepe

Fab Fabrics: Hand-Dyed Hemp from Noonday Textiles

I know, I know. A green crafting blog talking about hemp? What are the odds? There are some pretty solid reason for giving this wonderful material a chance, though!

Hemp is sustainable and durable. Not only that, it requires far fewer pesticides and water to grow than conventional fibers. Unlike most plants that sap nutrients from the soil, the mighty hemp plant actually nourishes the land where it’s planted! The fabric is strong, and lasts longer than traditional fabrics without stretching or wearing.

Ready to work some hemp into your next sewing project?

Check out the nature-inspired color schemes in the organic hemp fabric from Noonday Textiles! Jay hand dyes all of the yardage using the immersion dyeing process, which takes much less water than traditional dyeing methods. She says she loves the sometimes unexpected outcomes from the process and manipulating the final look of the fabric just by moving it around in the dyebath.

All of Jay’s fabrics are hemp and certified organic cotton blends. She says she’s drawn to hemp because:

Hemp is a wonderful sustainable fabric that gets softer and stronger with each washing. Conventional cotton uses the most pesticides of any crop. We work hard to keep chemicals out of our bodies through organic and natural foods, I love to be able to offer an alternative fabric that keeps the chemicals off our skin too.

This deep, cranberry is probably my favorite. I love the rich color and marbled pattern!

Jay is a stay at home mom living in Michigan with her best friend and spouse of 11 years. When she’s not dyeing organic hemp for Noonday Textiles or sewing hemp clothing for Jennifer Joy Creative, she loves to read, spin yarn, and garden.

[Image Credits: All photos courtesy of Noonday Textiles. Used with permission.]

Tags: , ,

My name is Becky Striepe (rhymes with “sleepy”), and I am a crafts and food writer from Atlanta, Georgia with a passion for making our planet a healthier, happier, and more compassionate place to live. My mission is to make vegan food and crafts accessible to everyone!. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

16 Responses to Fab Fabrics: Hand-Dyed Hemp from Noonday Textiles

1. Becky says:

I’m loving that blue!!

2. Becky says:

I’m loving that blue!!

3. Becky says:

I’m loving that blue!!

4. Julie says:

This fabric is beautiful. I have used some Noonday Textiles and they are fabulous. Thanks for this post

5. Julie says:

6. Julie says:

7. Meg says:

I’ve seen this awesome fabric in person. The colors that look so pretty on a computer screen are so much more wonderful, deep and inspiring in real life!

8. Meg says:

9. Meg says:

10. Kirsten says:

I love Noonday fabrics! Thanks for featuring them!

11. Kirsten says:

I love Noonday fabrics! Thanks for featuring them!

12. Kirsten says:

I love Noonday fabrics! Thanks for featuring them!

13. Jules says:

I have recently become a great fan of Jay and her beautiful clothing and products. I love the eggplant colour she does, just gorgeous.

Can’t wait to have a gander around your site.

Julesxx

14. Jules says:

Can’t wait to have a gander around your site.

Julesxx

15. Jules says:

Can’t wait to have a gander around your site.

Julesxx

16. Pingback: Fab Fabrics: Organic Offerings from Noonday Textiles – Crafting a Green World