Fabrics fabricstash1

Published on February 24th, 2009 | by Jackie Hernandez

Build a Greener Craft Fabric Stash

Waste Not Remnant StashCrafters and quilters usually build up a fabric stash over many years of collecting.  A fabric stash is usually filled with fabrics they couldn’t resist and knew someday they’d find the perfect project for.  I think most crafters and quilters would be frightened to be stash-less.  A fabric stash can serve as inspiration and always provides security knowing there is a project hiding in there somewhere.

Well, what to do if you have decided to craft green and have no stash?  Start building one.

One of the fastest and most affordable ways to build a stash is by buying small cuts of fabrics you love.  There are so many eco-friendly fabric sources that sell fabric mix packs and remnant bags perfect for starting a new stash.  Here is a round-up of my favorite sources for eco-friendly fabric scraps and remnants.Linen Remnants

Have fun building a greener fabric stash!  If you want fabric yardage check out the Top 10 Modern, Eco-friendly, Printed Fabrics on Etsy.

[Image 1 courtesy of Mara Snipes of MARAmiki and Image 2 courtesy of Lotta Jansdotter]

Tags: , , , ,

I am a work-at-home mom busy chasing after my son and establishing my eco-business, Tiny Décor. I also write the Tiny Décor Blog aimed at modern parents trying to go green for their kids. Tiny Décor has allowed me to turn a passion for sewing, craft, and environmentalism into a business. Blog writing has become an outlet for me to share my experiences going green, being a parent, and loving the planet.

6 Responses to Build a Greener Craft Fabric Stash

1. Willo says:

THANK YOU! I have recently decided I want to start sewing/quilting and am at the very beginning stages and was wondering about “green” fabric. This is wonderfully helpful!

2. mayaluna says:

I loved this round-up of fabric remnants! I love all of the textile designers above… I also enjoy small green projects that take just a tiny bit of a special fabric. Thanks so much!

3. Elizabeth B says:

There’s nothing like buying fabric fresh off the bolt (she said, looking a bit guiltily at the ginormous stash), but for the very greenest option, I wait for the Goodwill $2 clothing sale and then find piles of clothes made from pretty fabrics which I then cut up and use to make things.

4. Mara says:

Thanks for including Maramiki! I love putting together each remnant stash, imagining what projects the prints and fabrics might inspire. And small pieces are so much less intimidating to work with. Thanks again!

5. Elizabeth B says:

Eee, i just discovered Alabama Chanin’s 100 percent organic cottons! Many colors, including some cotton patterns that are woven only of naturally colored cotton fiber (i.e. no dyes), 60″ wide, and only $15 per yard! Made all in the US, too. Such a deal. *drools*

6. Jennie C. says:

Thrift stores are a great place to start when building a stash. They often have a fabric section with small remnants and big pieces, too. But you can also check out the linens, curtains, bedspreads, and clothes!