Accessories Cuffs - photo by Becky Striepe

Published on November 19th, 2008 | by Becky Striepe

Handmade Holidays: Upcycled Wrist Cuffs

The weather is getting colder, and we have a handmade holiday on our minds! Handmade gifts have heart, are better for the environment, and, if you opt to buy, it supports independent artists! Over the next few weeks, we’re going to be posting about recycled gifts you can make yourself and great handmade finds for sale.

I don’t know about you guys, but I have the hardest time coming up with boy gifts. Why do handmade items tend to skew toward the girlie? Never fear! This upcycled cuff is simple enough to make and works for men and women. Here’s what you need:

• two pieces of fabric scraps, cut or pinked to 9″ long by 2″ wide (you’ll want one piece to be a bit on the heavy side, like denim or corduroy)
  • sewing machine
  • a large, vintage button
  • fabric scissors and pinking shears (optional)
  • contrasting piece of fabric or an outer strip (optional)

Take your two 9″x2″ rectangular pieces of fabric, and cut the edges like in the dotted lines here:

If you’re adding the fancy, pinked stripe to the outside, use your pinking shears to cut a strip of contrasting fabric 9″ long and about 3/4″ wide. Now, layer and pin your fabrics right sides out, with the pinked strip of contrasting fabric right side out on the fabric that’s going to be the outside of your cuff. Sew along the outside using a zig-zag stitch. You want to start at the corner of the pinked strip, so that when you have sewn along the outer edges, you can then sew down that strip without having to take the project off the needle. This method will allow the edges to fray a bit with wear, which I think gives the finished product a more manly feel.

OK, this is my favorite part of the project: scribble scrabble sewing! Change your needle to the straight stitch, and place the cuff in the machine so you’re starting near one of the edges. Do a few backwards stitches, and then go to town! Stitch up and down, changing direction as often as you like. You can even change stitches while you’re working to give it a really random feel. The scribbly stitching gives the cuff a little more strength while adding a bit of interest.

You’re almost done! Sew your button hole vertically about 1/2″ from one edge of the fabric. Grab your vintage button and sew it on the opposite end of the cuff’s outside.

[All images by Becky Striepe]

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Hi there! I'm Becky Striepe, a green crafter and vegan foodie living in Atlanta, Georgia with my husband and two cats. My mission is to make eco-friendly crafts and vegan food accessible to anyone who wants to give them a go. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

26 Responses to Handmade Holidays: Upcycled Wrist Cuffs

1. Carla Brown says:

What do you use this for?

2. Carla Brown says:

What do you use this for?

3. Carla Brown says:

What do you use this for?

4. Carla Brown says:

What do you use this for?

5. Oh! They’re wrist cuffs. You wear them. :)

6. Oh! They’re wrist cuffs. You wear them. :)

7. Oh! They’re wrist cuffs. You wear them. :)

8. Oh! They’re wrist cuffs. You wear them. :)

9. Rachel says:

This is so cool, I love wearing cuffs with tanks and jeans. I’ll be linking.

10. Rachel says:

This is so cool, I love wearing cuffs with tanks and jeans. I’ll be linking.

11. Rachel says:

This is so cool, I love wearing cuffs with tanks and jeans. I’ll be linking.

12. Rachel says:

This is so cool, I love wearing cuffs with tanks and jeans. I’ll be linking.

13. pouch says:

great tutorial! I’ve never made wrist cuffs before but it might be a good way to use up all the offcuts I have left over from making our bags, I hate to throw any fabric away :)

14. pouch says:

15. pouch says:

16. pouch says:

17. Thank you! It’s totally a good way to use up scrap fabric! If your scraps are too tiny, you can always quilt pieces together, too!

18. Thank you! It’s totally a good way to use up scrap fabric! If your scraps are too tiny, you can always quilt pieces together, too!

19. Thank you! It’s totally a good way to use up scrap fabric! If your scraps are too tiny, you can always quilt pieces together, too!

20. Pingback: Goodwill’s Thrifting and Green Living Blog » Blog Archive » (Mostly) Local Holiday Gifts

21. bo betsy says:

yay! this is exactly what i was hoping for when i started googling making cuffs tonight… perfect for my late christmas gifts!
    thank you!

22. bo betsy says:

thank you!

23. bo betsy says:

thank you!

24. bo betsy says:

thank you!

25. Pingback: Lotta Fabrics, Inspiration, and Surface Printing Workshops : Crafting a Green World

26. Pingback: Just In for Spring: Forsythia Linen : Crafting a Green World