Craftivism

Published on October 21st, 2008 | by Julie Finn

A Green Crafting Manifesto

Author's photograph of a sign in the Indianapolis Children's MuseumDo you have a manifesto? I mean, do you have a clear, guiding philosophy through which you can mediate between your sometimes competing identities as an environmentally conscious person and as a person who thinks crafting up cool stuff is awesome?

I’ll tell you–a manifesto helps, because sometimes environmentalism and crafting don’t play well together without forethought. For instance, do you prefer wool felt, which comes from animals, or acrylic felt, which is synthetic? How big is that fabric/yarn/bead stash, all consisting of items you bought brand-new and are now just sitting on? Do you think it’s okay to craft with vinyl or not? It’s important to think through the environmental/ethical issues behind how you like to craft, so that whatever you do, you are working in harmony with your beliefs.Here’s my manifesto:

1. I create as an alternative to a mass-produced, consumer culture. Whenever possible, I do not buy–I make.
  2. I create through a mindset of reducing wastefulness and honoring our culture’s material goods. Whenever possible, I use recycled materials and others’ discarded objects in my projects.
  3. I create while remaining mindful of our current environmental needs. Whenever possible, I use materials that are non-toxic and have been ethically produced.
  4. I create while being respectful of the time my partner and I spend earning our money. Whenever possible, I do not buy expensive crafting supplies.
  5. I create in collaboration with my daughters, to teach them my values and share with them the joy and indepence in making. Whenever possible, I include my children in all my work.

I enjoy trying new projects and I get way too many Joann’s coupons, so my manifesto helps me work from my belief system without having to rethink my entire worldview every time I’m standing in front of a ceiling-high display of Fimo clay marked at 40%-off.

Do you find that your work reflects a particular craft ethic? What’s your manifesto?

Tags: , , , ,

I'm a writer, crafter, Zombie Preparedness Planner, and homeschooling momma of two kids who will hopefully someday transition into using their genius for good, not the evil machinations and mess-making in which they currently indulge. I'm interested in recycling and nature crafts, food security, STEM education, and the DIY lifestyle, however it's manifested--making myself some underwear out of T-shirts? Done it. Teaching myself guitar? Doing it right now. Visit my blog Craft Knife for a peek at our very weird handmade homeschool life; my etsy shop Pumpkin+Bear for a truly odd number of rainbow-themed beeswax pretties; and my for links to articles about poverty, educational politics, and this famous cat who lives in my neighborhood.

43 Responses to A Green Crafting Manifesto

1. Heather says:

Great concept! Thanks for posting this.

2. Heather says:

Great concept! Thanks for posting this.

3. Heather says:

Great concept! Thanks for posting this.

4. Oooh I love this idea! I guess I never really thought of it in this way, but I’ve definitely got a crafting manifesto. Maybe putting it into words would be a nice exercise!

5. Oooh I love this idea! I guess I never really thought of it in this way, but I’ve definitely got a crafting manifesto. Maybe putting it into words would be a nice exercise!

6. Oooh I love this idea! I guess I never really thought of it in this way, but I’ve definitely got a crafting manifesto. Maybe putting it into words would be a nice exercise!

7. Vicky says:

Wonderful idea! I’m off to write mine now. Thank you for this.

8. Vicky says:

Wonderful idea! I’m off to write mine now. Thank you for this.

9. Vicky says:

Wonderful idea! I’m off to write mine now. Thank you for this.

10. Julie Finn says:

I so cannot wait to see everybody’s manifestos.

An example of the manifesto in action:
    A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to buy my girls some of those temporary tattoos that read, “If I’m lost, call____”. But my manifesto reads that whenever possible, I try to make, not buy, so I did a quick google search to see if you can make your own temporary tattoos, and you can!

A couple of pages of water-slide decal paper later, and my babies are tatted up with my phone number in case they get lost, their favorite picture book illustrations, WordArts of their names, and some of their own original artwork. And yeah, Momma now has quite a collection of custom-made Buffy the Vampire Slayer tattoos.

11. Julie Finn says:

I so cannot wait to see everybody’s manifestos.

An example of the manifesto in action:

12. Julie Finn says:

I so cannot wait to see everybody’s manifestos.

An example of the manifesto in action:

13. Julie starts off with a bang! Great post! Everyone give a warm welcome to our newest regular here at CAGW :)

14. Julie starts off with a bang! Great post! Everyone give a warm welcome to our newest regular here at CAGW :)

15. Julie starts off with a bang! Great post! Everyone give a warm welcome to our newest regular here at CAGW :)

16. Becky says:

Love this idea! I’ll have to seriously think about this one.

17. Becky says:

Love this idea! I’ll have to seriously think about this one.

18. Becky says:

Love this idea! I’ll have to seriously think about this one.

19. Pingback: A Green Crafting Manifesto | EcoTaz green lifestyle and technology blog

20. So true! The urge (obsession?) to buy more and more craft supplies can be at odds with environmental priorities. I try to be mindful with my purchases and only buy things I need but it can be challenging! A manifesto is a great idea!

21. So true! The urge (obsession?) to buy more and more craft supplies can be at odds with environmental priorities. I try to be mindful with my purchases and only buy things I need but it can be challenging! A manifesto is a great idea!

22. So true! The urge (obsession?) to buy more and more craft supplies can be at odds with environmental priorities. I try to be mindful with my purchases and only buy things I need but it can be challenging! A manifesto is a great idea!

23. Julie Finn says:

Yes, the hoarding of the stash is one of the things that I find most troubling about crafting, although I’m way guilty of it, too. I don’t like the mindset it implies, or the lack of respect for the stuff that it’s taken money, energy, and people to produce, or the lack of respect for the time we have to spend earning the money to pay for it.

I know one crafter who has a practice to finish two older projects for every one new project she wants to start, and another crafter who tags her fabric and if she doesn’t use it within one year, she donates it to another person or organization who can use it.

Unfortunately, my plan to use up all my stash revolves entirely around the creation of a machine that could stop time for a week. Okay, maybe two weeks.

24. Julie Finn says:

25. Julie Finn says:

26. Pingback: A hand made statement | Green Girls Global Blog

27. Julie Finn says:

I just realized that I have another guiding point:

6. I create without exploitation of the world’s creatures. Whenever possible, I do not use materials that come from animals, unless these materials are organic or second-hand.

The manifesto continually evolves.

28. Julie Finn says:

I just realized that I have another guiding point:

The manifesto continually evolves.

29. Julie Finn says:

I just realized that I have another guiding point:

The manifesto continually evolves.

30. Pingback: Ink Yourself: Make Your Own Temporary Tattoos : Crafting a Green World

31. Pingback: Use Your Community: Local Stores Can Teach Your Kids Practical Skills | Eco Friendly Mag

32. Late comment i know, I only use reused materials in crafts – eg materials that are waste products of my own activities (eg waste packaging materials) or things I buy second hand or natural materials, including shed rabbit fur, which makes a beautiful felt or a good Easter card shepp motif…

33. Late comment i know, I only use reused materials in crafts – eg materials that are waste products of my own activities (eg waste packaging materials) or things I buy second hand or natural materials, including shed rabbit fur, which makes a beautiful felt or a good Easter card shepp motif…

34. Late comment i know, I only use reused materials in crafts – eg materials that are waste products of my own activities (eg waste packaging materials) or things I buy second hand or natural materials, including shed rabbit fur, which makes a beautiful felt or a good Easter card shepp motif…

35. Julie Finn says:

I especially like that idea of the reuse of animal products, like shed rabbit fur. It’s a really gentle way to incorporate an animal material into your work.

I tried felting organic wool roving for the very first time yesterday. I agitated and agitated and agitated, and just could not figure out why my wool wasn’t felting. Then I read the label again, and I was all, “Hmm, I wonder what superwash means?”

36. Julie Finn says:

37. Julie Finn says:

38. Pingback: Green Crafting Ethics: Do You Craft with Wood? : Crafting a Green World

39. Pingback: Thrift Store Crafting: What to Buy, What to Make : Crafting a Green World

40. Pingback: Thrift Store Crafting: What to Buy, What to Make

41. Pingback: Green Crafting Book Review: Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross : Crafting a Green World

42. Pingback: Green Crafting Book Review: Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross

43. Pingback: Review: The DIY Chewing Gum Kit from Glee Gum, and a Cautionary Tale (Involving Second-Degree Burns)