Nothing says autumn to me like slurping down a few apple cider slushies. My nephews had them when they went apple picking in Virginia about four years ago. They were just little squirts back then (ages 4, 4, and 2) but they still remember the sweet taste of those slushies. So this week, I’m heading home for Thanksgiving and we’re going to bang out some autumn memories by making some totally delicious homemade apple cider slushies.
We’re actually going to make this a Thanksgiving treat and serve them at the kid’s table. The adults have their special drinks, so why shouldn’t the kiddos have one too? It’s simple. It’s all-natural. And it’ll make the little ones feel special. And hopefully it will keep them occupied through dessert. Wishful thinking, right?!
- Apple Cider (Yup, that’s it.)
There are two methods for making this Thanksgiving recipe. Both are easy and kid friendly. Don’t worry. This won’t make a big mess in the kitchen.
- Pour one cup of apple cider into a chilled baking dish.
- Place dish in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Take dish out of freezer and scrape cider with a fork.
- Return the dish to the freezer and repeat this process until you have fluffy ice crystals. (You’re basically making an apple cider granita.) This should take 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Fill a glass with your frozen cider crystals.
- Add liquid apple cider. If you like it icy, don’t add much liquid. If you like it more slushy – add enough liquid until comes above the ice crystals. You can make this as slushy as you wish.
This makes 1-2 slushies. But it really depends on how big you make them!
- Fill an ice cube tray with cider and let it freeze solid.
- Add ice cubes to a blender.
- Cover the cubes with liquid cider.
This also makes 1-2 apple cider slushies.
Need a Thanksgiving craft idea for your holiday table? Check out these DIY napkin rings.
See, I told you this was super easy. But if you’re still need a little guidance, that’s OK. Things are pretty hectic right now. I get it! So please check out our very first CRAFTING A GREEN WORLD video. It’s a step by step video tutorial on how to make this tasty, vegan, non-dairy, no extra sugar added, fantastical treat. Happy Thanksgiving!