When I was a kid, I fully admit that I spent a lot of time playing Pac-Man, Donkey Kong and Frogger – oh how I loved me some Frogger! But kids these days park themselves in front of glowing screens for hours without coming up for air. (Oh my, did I just say “kids these days”? OK, I’m officially an old man.) Anyways, it’s time to put away the tablets and phones and play an old fashioned kinda game.
When I started brainstorming about this project, a DIY Tic Tac Toe game was the first thing that popped into my head. It’s simple. It’s fun. And it keeps kids busy for hours. Of course, handing a child a piece of scrap paper and a crayon is a great way to play Tic Tac Toe – but that’s a waste of paper. So I decided to turn Tic Tac Toe into a board game. The game pieces will be made of water bottle tops and the board will be made from the top of a small box. Trust me, the kids might have as much fun putting this thing together as they do playing the game itself!
- Small box (I used an old candy box)
- 10 Water bottle caps
- Craft paint (I used yellow and orange)
- Decorate Duck tape (various widths)
- Letter punches (X and O)
- Craft foam or construction paper
- Paint brushes
- Paint five bottle caps orange and paint five caps yellow.
- Punch out five Xs and five Os. (If you don’t have letter punches, you can just write them onto the caps with a permanent marker.)
- When the paint is dry, glue the letters to the bottle caps.
- Take the top part of your box and cover the sides with decorative tape. If you don’t have decorative tape, glue on construction paper or leftover wrapping paper.
- Place the top of the box onto your craft foam and trace around it. Then cut out the square shape from your craft foam.
- Glue the craft foam to the top of the box
- Use decorative tape that’s a very small width to create the Tic Tac Toe grid onto the top of the box. You can also use a marker for this.
- Gather your game pieces and play Tic Tac Toe until your heart’s content!
When you’re done playing your DIY Tic Tac Toe game, store the Xs and Os inside the box. This is great for keeping things tidy. But it also make the game portable!