Published on May 15th, 2014 | by Bonnie Getchell2
DIY Crafts: Make a Graduation Cap Mason Jar
Want to give your graduation gift in style this year? Make DIY crafts like this graduation cap mason jar!
Forget the boring card and not-so-eco-friendly gift wrap. You can give your graduation presents in an awesome mason jar! Not only is it easy to make, but it uses items that you probably have in your craft stash! I was inspired by this graduation cap project at Crafts by Amanda and decided to create my own version with paper instead of felt.
What You Will Need:
1. Recycled scrapbook paper. I used black and yellow paper. You could also use recycled paper like magazines, newspaper, sheet music, or book pages. If you would rather use felt like Amanda, consider using recycled felt or felt an old sweater.
2. A mason jar
5. Glue. If you can, use EcoGlue.
6. Twine. For an eco-friendly alternative, use hemp twine.
How To Do It:
1. Cover the edge of your mason jar lid with a thin strip of black paper. I used tape to keep mine in place.
2. Cut a square piece of black paper and tape it to the top of the jar.
3. Cut a short piece of twine and tape it to a small strip of yellow paper like so:
4. Cut the edge of the yellow paper to create a “fringe.”
5. Then, roll the paper around the twine like so:
6. Tape one end of the tassel to the top of the mason jar (letting the yellow paper end hang over the edge of the mason jar).
7. Cut a small circle out of your black paper. Glue it on top of the area where you taped your tassel.
Fill your jar with a handmade mason jar recipe, money, DIY jewelry, or another gift and you’re ready to go! If you’re hosting a graduation party, you could also use small mason jars to create guest gift bags or simple decorations on your table!
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!