Published on September 27th, 2011 | by Becky Striepe2
How-to: Make a Burlap Sunglasses Case
After my husband’s sunglasses got bent and mostly broken in my purse over the weekend, I decided that he needed a case to keep his new pair safe and sound. Sure, we could have picked up a sunglasses case from the store, but most of these are made with conventional cotton, polyester, or straight up plastic. Boo!
Instead of buying new, I decided to whip up a sunglasses case using supplies that were already in my craft room. Hurrah! This case was a surprise for him, so those are my giant, white sunglasses in the photos. He wears pretty big glasses, too, so I modeled the size on my huge pair. If you wear less chunky sunglasses, you might want to size this sunglasses case tutorial down a bit to accommodate, so they’ll fit snugly.
The outside of this case is burlap, but I chose a vintage cotton fabric for the lining. Burlap is a bit on the scratchy side, and you don’t want your snazzy new case to scratch up your lenses!
- 2 pieces of burlap cut to 8 1/2″ X 5″
- 1 piece of lining fabric cut to 17″ x 5″
- Sewing machine and thread
- Vintage button
- 5″ scrap of ric rac or ribbon
1. Place your pieces of burlap wrong sides together and press.
2. Fold your piece of fabric wrong sides together so that it’s 8 1/2″ x 5″ and press.
3. Use your zig zag stitch to sew around three sides of the burlap, leaving one short side unsewn.
4. Sew up the two 8 1/2″ sides of the other fabric.
5. Flip the burlap right side out and press, then fold in the unfinished edge by 1″ and press again.
6. Take your other piece of fabric, and fold out the unfinished edge by 1″ and iron.
7. Shove the fabric pocket into the burlap one, and pin around the top.
8. In the center of one side, sandwich the unfinished edge of your ribbon loop between the burlap outer and fabric lining.
9. Use a zig zag stitch to sew around the outside of your sunglasses case.
10. Sew on the button, and you’re done!
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!