Tutorial + How-to Burlap Box

Published on June 30th, 2011 | by Karen Lee

How to Upcycle Coffee Sac Burlap into a Fabric Box

FInished Burlap BoxWhen I read how eco-friendly burlap is, I just had to craft with it. So when a local coffee shop owner practically threw a dozen coffee sacs at me and pleaded with me to take them, I felt like I just robbed a bank. I raced home and started making these burlap fabric boxes.

I have to admit, burlap is a little tricky to work with since it sheds. But once the pieces were cut, they were manageable. Just make sure to have a dust pan ready. Oh, and if the edges fray, save the jute yarn to use as ties for gift wrapping.

Supplies

• Coffee Sac Burlap (or feed burlap)
  • Lining – cut two inches longer on sides “a” than burlap for folding down the top edges.
  • Fusible web – Which may be eliminated if you’re creative and find other ways to make burlap stiffer.
  • Thread
  • Scissors
  • Lace – optional

Instruction:
Cut burlap, lining, and fusible web in a cross shape in any dimension you want. Make sure all of the sides labeled “1″ are the same and all of the sides labeled “a” are the same. I wouldn’t make the box any taller than six inches high (dimension for sides “a”) as the walls may not be stiff enough for them to hold up. But if you can find ways to keep them stiff, you can make them taller.

burlap fabric box

Next >>

Tags: , , ,

Karen lives a simple, frugal, green life and shares her eco tips and news on ecokaren and is a co-founder of Green Sisterhood, a network of community of green women bloggers, making change. When she's not managing Green Sisterhood or blogging on ecokaren, she is a chauffeur to two greenagers, wife to an accidental recycler, master chef to hungry locavores, seamstress, knitter, and dumpster diver, not necessarily in that order.

17 Responses to How to Upcycle Coffee Sac Burlap into a Fabric Box

1. Tanya Kearns says:

Karen, I love this post! I also appreciate that you point out burlap’s ‘tricky’ features. At the end of the day I’m covered in burlap fibers but it all pays off in the long run. Great tutorial :).

• Karen says:

Thanks Tanya. I didn’t wash these but was afraid to clog up my washing machine. I prolly would be covered in burlap fiber too if I worked with it as often as you do. Your bags are gorgeous!

2. Rachel says:

Love these! I need to find a coffee shop that has sacs to give away!

• Karen says:

Most coffee shops that roast their own coffee have tons of sacs that they throw away or donate. So, ask the manager. They’d love to give them to you for free…at least the one that I went to were glad to give them away.

3. Van says:

I love this idea! They look so neat!

4. jane_29 says:

Oo, these could actually look quite steampunk if put together right – especially with the khaki lining on the first one.

Most impressive, and tips on where to find completely free crafting materials are not exactly unwelcome! :)

• Karen says:

You can make this with denim, khaki, upholstery fabric, or canvas too. They’ll work well as lining also. Decorate it any way you like!!

5. Jma280 says:

i like to insert that really cheap needlepoint canvas (10 cents a sheet) to add stiffness to things like this!   ( i know,  defeats the purpose of eco friendly, but maybe you have some laying around to recycle!) = )

6. Pingback: Day 7: 24 Days of Green Christmas – Burlap Ornament

7. Pingback: 5 Awesome Ways to Repurpose a Burlap Coffee Sack

8. Pingback: Sac it to Me « .ariela's studio.

9. Pingback: Burlap Crafts | Glue and Glitter

10. Pingback: 15 Best Burlap Craft Ideas For Home Decor | Rustic Crafts & Chic Decor

11. Pingback: How to make a fabric box with burlap - ecokaren

12. Sheryl says:

I love your box…I have a great supply of burlap and use Tyvek bird seed bags as a stiffner…the tote or box crinkles but a great green alternative…Sheryl