Published on April 21st, 2009 | by Julie Finn4
Celebrate Earth Day with These Eco-Friendly Crafting Ideas
Sure, Earth Day SHOULD be every day, but there’s nothing wrong with getting on board the Earth Day train on April 22. It doesn’t make you, you know, a “joiner” or anything.
And so what if we’re always supposed to be “crafting a green world?” Maybe you could craft a little greener on Earth Day. Or try something new. Or do without some awesome supply you might normally buy. Or take something weird out of your trash can and turn THAT into something awesome.
Or, since you’re already pretty green and already pretty crafty, you can just feel okay about that on Earth Day. That’s totally fine.
However, if you’re feeling extra-inspired, here are five eco-friendly projects all ready for Earth Day craftiness:
- Crafting with nature: Terrarium projects have suddenly hit the big time–I’m seeing them everywhere, and yep, I am TOTALLY going to make myself one really soon (on Earth Day, perhaps?)–but this terrarium tutorial from 5 Orange Potatoes is one of the best that I’ve seen. And also? It teaches you about carbon.
- Crafting with stash: Rostitchery used an intriguing concept for a recent project–she knitted a two-color ballband discloth, not only using stash, but also using two yarns whose only connection to each other was that they happened to be sitting next to each other in her stash drawer. And although the colors didn’t seem to go together at all, the result was really quite pleasing in a different way. It’s an interesting challenge for crafting with what you own–gather a few unrelated materials, and unite them into a finished product.
- Re-making Vintage: At Angry Chicken, there’s an awesome project featuring a vintage quilt top lovingly backed, bound, and quilted. It’s a beautiful idea–completely different generations of women who are completely unrelated and unknown to each other, both working together to bring to fruition one single project, which will likely now be handed down to yet another generation. Do you have a thrifted or a loved one’s half-completed embroidery or latch hook project? You, too, could be a craft-work closer.
- Participate in a World Community: Whatever you do on Earth Day, crafty or not (but especially crafty!), snap a photo of yourself and upload it to the Earth Mosaic project. Its goal is to create a photo mosaic of a day in the life of our planet–wherever you are, whatever you’re doing. You have until April 30 to upload your photo.
- Reduce Waste: Even if you don’t have a serger, you can still make some pretty rockin’ cloth napkins with this cloth napkins tutorial from Skip to My Lou. Mitchy-match your home-sewn tablecloth, perhaps, utilize some fabulous fabrics, or go all Lilly Pulitzer on them so that nobody notices any spills.
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!