Tutorial + How-to Brown Paper Recipe Card

Published on February 14th, 2009 | by Jackie Hernandez

Tutorial: Brown Paper Bag Recipe Cards

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Brown Paper Recipe CardThese easy and quick recipe cards were inspired by the Brown Paper Seed Packet Business Cards.  I loved the idea of repurposing brown paper bags, but didn’t really need business cards.  What I needed was recipe cards to fit in a new recipe box I got as a gift.  I created a recipe card design and printed it onto pieces of brown paper bag.  Two thicknesses of paper make these cards durable and allow for overflow directions on the back.

To make your own brown paper bag recipe cards follow these easy step by step instructions.  Make a set of blank cards to give as a housewarming or wedding gift.

1. Open brown paper bag along all seams and lay flat.  If the wrinkles bother you then use a press cloth and iron them out.  I leave my paper wrinkled because I think it adds character.
  2. Cut brown paper into 6.5″ x 8.5″ rectangles (sized for the PDF included in this tutorial).
  3. Download and open this PDF featuring my recipe card design (offered under Creative Commons Attribution license).  Set print paper size to custom: 6.5″ x 8.5″.  Set all print margins to 0.  You may have to do a few test runs to get all the settings right.
  4. Insert brown paper into printer.  For my printer I needed to insert the paper plain side down.Brown Paper in Printer
  5. Print PDF onto brown paper.Printed Recipe Card
  6. Score and fold recipe card along the light grey line in the middle.
  7. Apply glue to one half of the back side of paper.  Press two sides together.
  8. Use paper cutter or scissors to trim recipe card to the light grey lines on three raw edges.Trim Recipe Card

Creative Commons License
Brown Paper Bag Recipe Card by Jackie Hernandez is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.

[Images courtesy of Jackie Hernandez, Crafting A Green World]

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Tags: , ,

I am a work-at-home mom busy chasing after my son and establishing my eco-business, Tiny Décor. I also write the Tiny Décor Blog aimed at modern parents trying to go green for their kids. Tiny Décor has allowed me to turn a passion for sewing, craft, and environmentalism into a business. Blog writing has become an outlet for me to share my experiences going green, being a parent, and loving the planet.

102 Responses to Tutorial: Brown Paper Bag Recipe Cards

1. Pingback: Tutorial: Brown Paper Bag Recipe Cards : TipNut.com

2. ELICIA says:

These brown paper bag recipe notes are absolutely adorable! Thank you so much for the free PDF.

3. ELICIA says:

4. ELICIA says:

5. geek+nerd says:

This is super cool – thank you for the tutorial!

6. geek+nerd says:

This is super cool – thank you for the tutorial!

7. geek+nerd says:

This is super cool – thank you for the tutorial!

8. Michelle says:

This is just about the coolest thing that I have ever seen…I love to do recycle projects…these will be a great addition to my kitchen!! I just made 15 of them!

9. Michelle says:

10. Michelle says:

11. Michelle says:

12. Nusato says:

Was this done on an inkjet or a laser printer? I always thought regular grocery store brown paper bags weren’t supposed to be put through a laser printer due to the size of the paper and the texture (that’s what the HP rep told me anyway).

13. Nusato says:

14. Nusato says:

15. Nusato says:

16. Briar says:

Cute idea, but I wonder why you’re not just using re-usable bags if you’re so concerned about recycling and the environment…

17. Briar says:

18. Briar says:

19. Briar says:

20. Ms. T. says:

I lovelovelove this project. So cute. Great gift idea!

21. Ms. T. says:

I lovelovelove this project. So cute. Great gift idea!

22. Ms. T. says:

I lovelovelove this project. So cute. Great gift idea!

23. Ms. T. says:

I lovelovelove this project. So cute. Great gift idea!

24. sigrid soto says:

I like you idea and as for me i probably would make more creases in the paper after i print on it thank you

25. sigrid soto says:

26. sigrid soto says:

27. Nusato,

I actually printed these with a laser printer (a Samsung SCX-4500 to be exact). I did not have any trouble printing on the brown paper bags. Some of the wrinkles and texture of the paper left voids in the printing, but I liked the distressed look. If you want a crisp print or colors an inkjet printer would be better.

28. Nusato,

29. Nusato,

30. Nusato,

31. Briar,

I am doing my best, but on occasion I forget to put my reusable totes in the car or I don’t have enough to fit all the groceries. When I do bring home paper bags I alway try to find ways to reuse them or recycle them and that was the inspiration for this project.

32. Briar,

33. Briar,

34. Pingback: SparkBark » Blog Archive » Crafting Green: Brown Paper Recipe Cards

35. Tutorials says:

Very original, thanks for the idea

36. Tutorials says:

Very original, thanks for the idea

37. Tutorials says:

Very original, thanks for the idea

38. Tutorials says:

Very original, thanks for the idea

39. Pingback: Green: Crafting an Eco Friendly World | Elizabeth Anne Designs Living: A Food, Lifestyle and Craft Blog

40. TJ says:

I recognize a Trader Joe’s bag in that picture!

We have some reusable cloth bags, but brown paper bags are also reusable (so we also have a stash of those in the car). But once they’re not longer good for groceries – e.g. the handles rip or what have you – this is a good way to use them, and avoid buying recipe cards. Thanks for the idea!

41. TJ says:

I recognize a Trader Joe’s bag in that picture!

42. TJ says:

I recognize a Trader Joe’s bag in that picture!

43. Pingback: Gesammelte Links zu Rezeptkarten, Etiketten etc. - Wunderkessel - die Koch-Community mit Herz

44. amina says:

I had a question. Is there anyway I can fill out the recipe card then print it out? Thanks.

45. amina says:

46. amina says:

47. amina says:

48. Dreamgirl says:

I haven’t done it myself, but since the recipe card pattern is a PDF you could probably import it into a image editing program and use the text tool to fill in the card. It would be a bit of work making things line up nicely, but it should be doable.

49. Dreamgirl says: