Sewing

Published on December 23rd, 2008 | by Julie Finn

Easy-Peasy Freesie Burdastyle Patterns for Novice Sewers

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

SewingWho’s getting a sewing machine for Christmas? You are!!!

Maybe. As for me, I want a serger (You reading this, Matt?).  But let’s say you’re getting a sewing machine for your holiday gift. Perhaps you’re new to sewing, or just need a little time to get up to speed on your awesome, new-to-you machine. Then pop on over to one of my favorite sewing hangouts, Burdastyle. You can browse the tutorials and forums of this open-source sewing enterprise at your leisure, but if you sign up (free!) you’ll also be able to print out their community-made open-source sewing patterns (free!), including these easy-peasy ones perfect for beginners:

• Layla’s Mittens–Easy-peasy oven mitts. Can you imagine having oven mitts in the fanciest fabric ever, AND it matches your kitchen? Word to the wise, though, friends…splurge on heat resistant fabric and insulated batting for these babies.
  • Layla–A beautiful apron to match your beautiful mitts, and an easy introduction to the idea of pattern altering, since it’s clear how you could make this apron wider, shorter, taller, or with different pockets.
  • Charlie–Reusable grocery tote. Marshall an army of these. And may I suggest–denim?
  • Osman Tie–Ties are simple enough, but with this one you get to practice using interfacing and sewing slippery silks. Because of course your tie is gonna be silk. How else can it match your prom date’s shoes?
  • Ellinor–Peasant tops tend to have a very forgiving fit, which makes this one a good start for sewing clothing.
  • Lydia–A basic long-sleeved top. The sewing and fit of this is less forgiving than the peasant top, but it has the widest range of possibilities, for women and men, especially with *cough* a serger.

What are your favorite easy-peasy sewing projects?

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Tags: , , , , ,

I'm a writer, crafter, Zombie Preparedness Planner, and homeschooling momma of two kids who will hopefully someday transition into using their genius for good, not the evil machinations and mess-making in which they currently indulge. I'm interested in recycling and nature crafts, food security, STEM education, and the DIY lifestyle, however it's manifested--making myself some underwear out of T-shirts? Done it. Teaching myself guitar? Doing it right now. Visit my blog Craft Knife for a peek at our very weird handmade homeschool life; my etsy shop Pumpkin+Bear for a truly odd number of rainbow-themed beeswax pretties; and my for links to articles about poverty, educational politics, and this famous cat who lives in my neighborhood.

14 Responses to Easy-Peasy Freesie Burdastyle Patterns for Novice Sewers

1. Teresa says:

Thanks for the Burda link! I’m not new to sewing, but I always feel like I need refresher courses. I used to tackle boning, but now I feel like sewing a straight line is more than I care to handle. Oy.

2. Teresa says:

3. Teresa says:

4. Becky says:

Three cheers for BurdaStyle! I really think it’s one of the best things that the internet could have given to sewing. And the how-tos are great for beginners too, as they’re step-by-step illustrated.

5. Becky says:

6. Becky says:

7. Becky says:

8. Becky says:

9. Pingback: Making good use of Sewing Baskets | Crafts

10. Julie Finn says:

Boning? No way!

I love the how-tos: there’s a pancake tutu tutorial that I can’t wait to try for my girlies–I have the netting; now I just need the nerve!

11. Julie Finn says:

Boning? No way!

12. Julie Finn says:

Boning? No way!

13. Pingback: Learning to Sew? I Like These Easy (Free!) Kids’ Sewing Patterns : Eco Child’s Play

14. Pingback: Mending Clothes Short Series: Mending a Ripped Seam | Fat Chic