Tools + Supplies

Published on November 13th, 2008 | by Kelly Rand

Yearn Worthy Yarn: Your dog

Dog Yarn I’m not entirely convinced that this yarn is yearn worthy, but it certainly has earned a mention. Yes my friends, you can have your dog’s hair spun into usable/workable skeins of yarn. Not only is it a seemingly sustainable source of fiber, it is also taking “waste” and turning it into something usable.

This yarn starts with a simple grooming. Just brush your dog and save up the softer hair. The hairs best for spinning are those found along your dog’s flank, sides and shoulders. Depending on the project you might have in mind for your dog yarn, you’ll need to collect between 4 to 48 ounces of fiber.

There are several companies that will take the collected fur and then spin in into whichever weight you want; from lace to sport weight. The process is very similar to spinning wool into yarn. The fibers are washed and carded to prepare for spinning. The result is a thin and very soft yarn similar to alpaca. The fiber is spun into single strands then piled for strength, as this fiber is short and prone to breakage.

Since all the fiber is washed thoroughly, there is no “dog” smell. All breeds can be used to create this yarn, but some are easier than others.

You can send your fiber to VIP Fibers, Betty Burian Kirk, Fox Meadow Croft, or follow the directions from Ezine to spin your own.

[Image from Fox Meadow Croft website]

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Kelly covers visual arts in and around Washington, DC for DCist and is editor of Crafting a Green World. Kelly has also been published by Bust Magazine and you can find her byline at Indie Fixx and Etsy’s Storque and has taught in Etsy’s virtual lab on the topic of green crafting. Kelly helps organize Crafty Bastards: Arts and Crafts Fair, one of the largest indie craft fairs on the east coast and has served on the Craft Bastard’s jury since 2007. Kelly is also co-founder of Hello Craft a nonprofit trade association dedicated to the advancement of independent crafters and the handmade movement. Kelly resides in Washington, D.C. and believes that handmade will save the world.

12 Responses to Yearn Worthy Yarn: Your dog

1. Teresa says:

What a cool (and somehow it struck me as funny too) idea! My dog likes to roll in dead and/or poopy things so I’m not sure I like the idea of her fur as yarn necessarily. *grin* But, it’s still cool!

2. Teresa says:

3. Teresa says:

4. That’s interesting! I’ve made felt from shed rabbit fur and it turned out beautifully, but yarn would be more useful.

5. That’s interesting! I’ve made felt from shed rabbit fur and it turned out beautifully, but yarn would be more useful.

6. That’s interesting! I’ve made felt from shed rabbit fur and it turned out beautifully, but yarn would be more useful.

7. That’s interesting! I’ve made felt from shed rabbit fur and it turned out beautifully, but yarn would be more useful.

8. Pingback: Free lunch: Dog-related knitting | First things first

9. Pingback: Yearn Worthy Yarn: Your Hair : Crafting a Green World

10. Rachel says:

I will check back, but does anyone want a 30 gallon bag of silver Standard hair? It is clean, not tangled etc

11. Rachel says: