Tools + Supplies

Published on October 16th, 2008 | by Kelly Rand

Yearn Worthy Yarn: Miss Hawklet

Miss Hawklet Yarn In amongst the hand bound books made from mostly recycled materials, you will find some wonderful yarn by Miss Hawklet, made with what she calls “animal friendly” fibers.

All of the yarn found in Miss Hawklet’s shop is hand spun and hand dyed by the proprietor herself, Holly Klump. She offers a wide variety of fibers, perfect for those who like to knit with animal fibers and vegans alike.

Animal fibers that make up the hand spun yarns are obtained from a wide variety of sources that you can feel good about. Wool and mohair, come from a small rescue farm in Wisconsin, sans chemicals or bleach, or from rescued “mill ends,” the waste fiber that factories throw out. Miss Hawklet also sources wool from a farm in the Falkland Islands, which she has a good relationship with and feels comfortable with how they treat their animals and how the fiber is processed.

In her shop you will find all the yarn and roving carefully labeled with its source, so you know where your yarn is from. All of the cotton yarns are sourced organic from other small businesses, and for spinners, Miss Hawklet offers “mill end” roving, hand dyed and ready for your spindle.

And, while having yarn made from “animal friendly” and organic sources is pretty great, Miss Hawklet also has a mean eye for color. Her palette tends to be on the soft side with soothing greens found in forest keeper, pictured above, to bubble gun princess, an organic cotton yarn dyed with light pastels perfect for when your knitting needs are mellow.

[Image courtesy: Miss Hawklet]

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Kelly covers visual arts in and around Washington, DC for DCist and is editor of Crafting a Green World. Kelly has also been published by Bust Magazine and you can find her byline at Indie Fixx and Etsy’s Storque and has taught in Etsy’s virtual lab on the topic of green crafting. Kelly helps organize Crafty Bastards: Arts and Crafts Fair, one of the largest indie craft fairs on the east coast and has served on the Craft Bastard’s jury since 2007. Kelly is also co-founder of Hello Craft a nonprofit trade association dedicated to the advancement of independent crafters and the handmade movement. Kelly resides in Washington, D.C. and believes that handmade will save the world.

7 Responses to Yearn Worthy Yarn: Miss Hawklet

1. Becky says:

I appreciate her using fibers that are taken from animal-friend farms, but as a vegan I have to say that nothing that comes from any kind of animal source would be used by “those who like to knit with animal fibers and vegans alike.” Maybe for people with vegan diets but not vegan lifestyles.

2. Becky says:

3. Becky says:

4. Pingback: Yearn Worthy Yarn: Miss Hawklet | EcoTaz green lifestyle and technology blog

5. Cathy S. says:

I am interested in finding out if yarn from old sweaters can be re-spun. Is there someone who can help me on this? I am just starting to spin wool on a drop spindle and love it! I am a knitter since age 5 ( I am in my early 50’s now) I don’t know why I didn’t try spinning before. I also just went and found several sweaters at my local Good Will store and have just unraveled one tonight. I can’t wait to get started on my new projects – wool felted purses! Any comments on felting would be greatly appreciated.

6. Cathy S. says: