Tools + Supplies knitting

Published on August 26th, 2008 | by Kelli Best-Oliver

Tech Savvy Knitters Flock to Ravelry

Knitters and crocheters: looking for a social networking program that’s all about yarn-lovers? What about one with groups specifically for eco-minded crafters? Look no further than Ravelry.

I joined Ravelry in April, and since then, it’s my go-to place for (free!) knitting patterns and ideas. Just like Facebook or MySpace, users have a profile, make friends, and can join groups. It’s also got handy organizing features, such as a queue for projects you are working on or patterns you’d like to try, or cataloging features for your yarn stash or needle supply. It will also link to my blog and update my friends and my profile whenever I post there. It’s incredibly user-friendly–I’ve never had a technical problem using it.

There are several green-themed groups on Ravelry, each with a message board with tips for green crafting. Green Knits is a group that focuses on reclaiming fibers and found materials for reuse in knitting and crocheting projects. Members of Greenies 2008 have pledged to only use environmentally sustainable and socially responsible fibers for the entire year. The Eco-Yarn and Fiber Co-op facilitates group orders of sustainable fibers to get members discount prices. These are just a few green-themed Ravelry groups available to members. The boards on these groups seem to be pretty active, and they not only have green crafting tips, but discussion often delves into green living as well.

The only downfall of Ravelry is that since it’s still in Beta, you can’t sign up and become a member right away. You get put on a list and are e-mailed an invite as soon as they have the capacity. In my case, the wait was only a few days. Do yourself a favor and sign up today.

Related Posts

Tags: , , ,

A former high school teacher, I'm currently a part-time writer/full-time doctoral student at the University of St. Thomas in the Twin Cities, studying leadership in education from a critical pedagogy perspective along with public policy. On the green side, I'm interested in local food and agriculture (Iowa girl, born and raised), sustainability education, DIY projects, and grassroots activism. I'm slowly turning my South City, St Louis home into an urban farmstead. On the hoping-to-be-greener side, I love reading, yoga, soccer, music, backpacking, knitting, pop culture and trivia, my Tuesday Night Dinner Club, traveling, Guitar Hero, dive bars, and sitting on front porches with my husband and a cold beer. I came to Green Options via a post on Sustainablog,working the St Louis angle to get Jeff to let me in. I have a personal blog chronicling (what else?) life in South St. Louis. Follow me on Twitter!

12 Responses to Tech Savvy Knitters Flock to Ravelry

1. Becky says:

Don’t suppose there’s a sewing version for fabric addicts, is there? ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Becky says:

Don’t suppose there’s a sewing version for fabric addicts, is there? ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Becky says:

Don’t suppose there’s a sewing version for fabric addicts, is there? ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. yoel says:

Hooray for Ravelry! It single handedly ended (or replaced?) my addiction to email, facebook, and the like. Even non-tech-savvy people are abundant on Ravelry…a lot of people who can’t even post their projects because they can’t figure out how to use their digital cameras are still very active, and give wise knitting advice in the forums.

5. yoel says:

6. yoel says:

7. Rabbit says:

Love their crochet groups and met a lot of cool people there too. :)

8. Rabbit says:

Love their crochet groups and met a lot of cool people there too. :)

9. Rabbit says:

Love their crochet groups and met a lot of cool people there too. :)

10. Julia says:

It looks like it may be similar to Ravelry, but for fabric, sewing and quilting instead of knitting/crocheting. Take a look at the Blog and see what you think.

11. Julia says: