Handmade Reviews

Published on July 7th, 2008 | by Kelly Rand

To Dine is Divine

spoon ring I’m a big sucker for silver jewelry. I don’t often wear very much of it, but every once in a while I come across a piece that I absolutely love and must have. In a store, that I found this past week, was a basket full of rings. Not just any rings, but rings made from old cutlery; rings made from the ends of spoons and the tines of forks.

I know spoon wear has been around for a while, but it’s one of those things that I always forget about until confronted with it. It is a very clever craft that recycles the ordinary and turns it into the extraordinary. Thinking that these rings are the cat’s meow I purchased a fork ring which now sits comfortably on my hand.

Want one of your own? A quick trip through Etsy brought up a couple of designers that specialize in this area and are doing a fantastic job of it.

LT Creates Jewelry makes many wonderful items out of cutlery. Rings, bracelets and even watches made from spoons and forks can be found in their shop.

Dank Artistry also makes spoon jewelry. Check out the rings, bracelets, earrings and even bell pendants made from the end of a spoon and given a clapper. I can hear the small ting, ting that it would make.

Have a piece of cutlery you wear? Tell us about it in the comments.

Image credit: LTCreatesJewelry

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Kelly covers visual arts in and around Washington, DC for DCist and is editor of Crafting a Green World. Kelly has also been published by Bust Magazine and you can find her byline at Indie Fixx and Etsy’s Storque and has taught in Etsy’s virtual lab on the topic of green crafting. Kelly helps organize Crafty Bastards: Arts and Crafts Fair, one of the largest indie craft fairs on the east coast and has served on the Craft Bastard’s jury since 2007. Kelly is also co-founder of Hello Craft a nonprofit trade association dedicated to the advancement of independent crafters and the handmade movement. Kelly resides in Washington, D.C. and believes that handmade will save the world.

13 Responses to To Dine is Divine

1. GardenGrrrl says:

I have a silver fork ring that I really like. The tines of the fork have been formed into small spirals. I don’t wear it that much though because it is so thick that its somewhat heavy and uncomfortable.

2. GardenGrrrl says:

3. GardenGrrrl says:

4. GardenGrrrl says:

5. Pat Foster says:

Wow! This is gorgeous. The UK edition of Vogue for August as not 1, but 2 features on jewellery! Very of-the-moment.
    But GardenGrrrl is right – things have to be comfortable to wear, or they stay in the box!

6. Pat Foster says:

7. Pat Foster says:

8. Kelly Rand says:

The tines on my ring simply just curve around my finger, but others were like yours GardenGrrrl. It is a bit thick but I am getting used to it. It’s so pretty that I’m making myself wear it!

9. These are so creative and beautiful, makes me think about all the silverwear at thrift stores just waiting to be re-created.

10. These are so creative and beautiful, makes me think about all the silverwear at thrift stores just waiting to be re-created.

11. These are so creative and beautiful, makes me think about all the silverwear at thrift stores just waiting to be re-created.

12. Pingback: Beach Trips make Good Sea Glass Pendents : Crafting a Green World

13. Hi…About 34 years ago while pregnant with my first child, I had a pinky ring from my sterling pattern, Gorham Buttercup. While showering, I lost it down the drain. It made me very sad. To my delight, I saw a piece in a shop about 12 years ago which again was my sterling pattern. I still have this…it is a round watch with the handle of a piece of the silverware that can be worn as a pin or pendant on a cord. I love it be continue to miss my dainty little ring. That has been from a demitasse spoon. ME DeMarco