Clothing + Fashion 2008_0523amoursansanguish

Published on May 23rd, 2008 | by Leslie Richard

Girl Reconstructed: Upcycling Old Clothes

amoursansanguishReduce, Reuse, Upcycle! In the wild wonderful world of crafting you know these are our way of life, in spite of what the mega big box craft stores would like us to think. So this week I set a goal: what can I do with only thrifted pre loved mAmour Sans Anguishaterials?

Second hand stores are gleaming with craft finds like retro sewing patterns, stacks of fabric, old curtains, sheets and clothes. Clothes that not even your grandmaw could love anymore…but what if all these things could be reconstructed into something new? Craftalicious designers like Amour Sans Anguish and Supayana take discarded and way out of style garments and turn them into brand new eco fashionista dreams. Layer upon layer of eco couture and smart redesign. While so many are singing the praises of new fabrics like organic cotton, bamboo and peace silk – the most eco savvy choice is actually the fabric that requires nothing new to be produced, cutting out the intensive waste it takes to grow, break down and weave the fibers. While this might not be the #1 choice for those who are chemically sensitive, it is the most gentle on our sensitive earth.

Supayanagirl reconstructedOnce you begin deconstructing fulgy clothing you will find that all the supplies you need are right there! Elastic, yarn, lace, and a plethora of fabrics & patterns to choose from- to mix, match and create your own indie style beauty.

My first project was this strapless sun dress, which started out as a clogger riverdance puff sleeve frill collared mess. I took apart the top half of the dress, sewed the belt in(which ties in back), and then added the button trim from another old yellow polka dot top.I think it’s agreed that no one wants to wear that heavy 70’s polyester fabric anymore, since it is like wearing a non breathable chemical suit (think boy in the bubble), but vintage polyester can make fabulous trim on hemlines, seamlines, and anywhere you want to add pizazz! Next I want to tackle some of those 80’s prom dresses!

Share your reconstruction ideas here, and if you have  cool pictures of your eco construct email us at kelly [@] importantmedia.org so we can ogle your skills and feature our favorite one!

Photo/Image: Amour Sans Anguish, Supayana

Tags: , , , ,

I live and breathe everything eco , from organic gardening, organic food, to green crafting, minimalist decorating and nature made art. On an average day you can find me planting seeds, loving on my kitty, working on my eco fashion store The Oko Box (www.theokobox.com), and blogging about something green. I love promoting eco lifestyles and participating in changing the future, for a greener earth. xoxo

94 Responses to Girl Reconstructed: Upcycling Old Clothes

1. Stephanie says:

Wow! What a great post and great designers. I adore your creation!! I have been collecting from thrift and vintage shops for sometime now…eventually I hope to find the time to reconstruct some of those. =)

2. kate says:

glad Ive found your site it is good to know that iam not the only one using recycled materials for use around the home.Has anyone started to use linens for houshold projects yet? Ive made lots of new things like napkins pillowcases and t towles just to name a few.

3. kate says:

4. kate says:

5. Julianne says:

I’m marking your site to add to my list.
    Great reading.

6. Julianne says:

I’m marking your site to add to my list.
    Great reading.

7. Julianne says:

I’m marking your site to add to my list.
    Great reading.

8. Pingback: Making it on your own… « Living Green In Rockville, MD

9. Susie says:

Thoughtful post and well written. Please write more on this if you have time.

10. Susie says:

Thoughtful post and well written. Please write more on this if you have time.

11. Susie says:

Thoughtful post and well written. Please write more on this if you have time.

12. apronsugar says:

love it! you need a website!

13. apronsugar says:

love it! you need a website!

14. apronsugar says:

love it! you need a website!

15. karla says:

great stuff, innovative, gorgeous designs. reminds me of a modern edge on what the heroines of 17th century classical literature would have worn.

love it

16. karla says:

love it

17. karla says:

love it

18. Laura Dietrich says:

I have begun to use old knits and T’s that don’t fit anymore to make new things for my daughters. They love the idea that they are getting to “wear Mommy’s clothes”.

19. Laura Dietrich says:

20. Laura Dietrich says:

21. Hi There!
    What an awesome post :) I co-Own a upcycled clothing business and am absolutely obsessed with crafting beautiful clothes out of other people’s cast offs…there is a satisfaction that comes from creating something beautiful in this way that you could NEVER gain from going and buying something from say ‘Topshop’ that is just as expensive (if not more) and that is worn my thousands of people! A massive shout out to all those clever peeps that have realised the alternatives 😀 WOOOOOOOOO!

Rebekah (www.sawdustanddiamondsclothing.com)

22. Hi There!

Rebekah (www.sawdustanddiamondsclothing.com)

23. Hi There!

Rebekah (www.sawdustanddiamondsclothing.com)

24. Jennifer says:

I have been saving up some old clothes for along time and it’s great to see more and more people jump on the upcycling band wagon. With three children I see so many unwanted clothes lying in the free clothing places, like churches and so many other organizations. It’s great to know that something can be done wih them.

25. Jennifer says:

26. Jennifer says:

27. qwerty says:

wow! my new hobby is taking ugly old shirts (that maybe I thought were super cool a few years ago, or that were thrifted or hand-me-down) and turning them into hopefully-less-ugly ‘new’ shirts. quite a bit less ambitious than the stuff on the sites you linked to, which will definitely serve as inspiration!

28. qwerty says:

29. qwerty says:

30. Pingback: How to Beat a Dead Clothes-Horse « Live Simply, Leave a Smaller Footprint

31. Danielle_victoria_jacobs says:

can you give me the steps for making this dress. i have a highschool fashion designing project and i would love to make a dress like this:)
    please and thank you

32. Kayc_85 says:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ummmm okaayyyyyyy !!…

33. josie hull says:

if you have any tips on how to do this that woudl be so great, thanksx

34. Tess Home says:

do you sell your clothing to stores? i have a shop and have been looking for someone .

35. Tess Home says:

do you sell your clothing? i have a shop in NJ and would love to have your clothing to sell it fits my shop perfectly!

36. Pingback: Eco Threadz » Shopping with Ecoist!

37. JuliaSophia says:

I have been re-fashioning clothing since the mid 70’s when a favorite home ec teacher gave us a project to make a “new” item out of an existing garment. Loving fabrics as I do, thrift stores are a gold mine for collecting silk shirts/dresses for “new” slips, linings, pj’s etc. Recent cashmere sweater finds have turned into fingerless gloves, caps, and beaded pillows. I’ve purchased some very “un-beautiful” garments just for the buttons and lace (yards and yards of beautiful stuff). Don’t ya just love it? Thank you for sharing. Please, buy local, buy American.

38. Pingback: The Environmentally Conscious Consumer = Oxymoron « The Druid's Garden

39. Pingback: Guest post: Roll out the rugs | Lish concepts

40. HS says:

My hobby is usung old clothing to make bags and hot pot holders and trivets. I love it.