Published on February 22nd, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell0
Creatively Store Your Collections in Upcycled Shadow Boxes!
My friend recently sent me three of his collections in hopes that I could come up with a way to creatively display them. I remembered an idea from Pinterest where you can display movie tickets in a shadow box. I thought the idea was perfect, so I started scouring thrift stores to find shadow boxes that I could upcycle!
What You Will Need:
1. Shadow boxes. I got mine from thrift stores for about $2 each.
2. Scrapbook paper. Scrapbook paper isn’t the greenest crafting supply, so try to opt for more eco-friendly options like the Green Stack Collection, Eco-Friendly Recycled Scrapbook Paper, and Recycled Kraft Paper for Scrapbooking. You could also easily use recycled paper like sheet music or book pages.
3. Spray paint. Try to opt for a low VOC spray paint, if you can!
5. Glue. If you can, use eco-glue!
How To Do It:
1. Spray paint your shadow boxes. Spray painting them all the same color ties them all together without having identical frames.
2. Create backgrounds for each frame using the scrapbook paper or recycled paper. I chose the color green. Cut each background to the size of your frame.
3. Cut out the phrase you would like to place in the back of your frame. I used an electronic cutting machine to cut out mine, but you could easily write and cut out your own letters.
4. Glue your letters to the backgrounds of each frame.
5. Put your collections inside each shadow box, and put the background inside.
Now you can easily look at and share your collections! What collections would you put inside? Do you have any other creative ways to display your collections? Share your ideas with me!