Tutorial + How-to recycled hanging caddy

Published on April 5th, 2012 | by Bonnie Getchell

How To: Sponge Holder from a Shampoo Bottle

recycled sponge holder

At my house we have a missing sponge issue– you know, when the sponge gets lost among the huge pile of dishes. My roommate and I went to the store hoping to find a solution, but all we found were overpriced sponge holders. I realize $10-$20 is not a lot for some people, but when you’re on a tight budget, it’s too much for a silly sponge holder!

I decided I would make our own holder. I had an empty shampoo bottle, so I went on Pinterest for some inspiration. When I found Make It and Love It’s Holder for Charging a Cell Phone that was made from a lotion bottle, I thought, “I could hang my sponge from the faucet of the sink!” Here’s how you can make your own.

What You Will Need:

1. An empty bottle. You can use a shampoo/conditioner bottle, lotion bottle, etc.

2. Scissors.

3. Pen or marker.

4. Sand paper.

How to Do It:

1. Clean out your empty bottle.

Sponge Holder from Shampoo Bottle

2. Cut off the top of your bottle. (Caution: The plastic becomes sharp once you cut it, so be careful!)

Sponge Holder from Shampoo Bottle

3. Mark with your pen/marker the height of the front of your bottle. I put my sponge up against the bottle and marked it a little bit above the half-way point. Cut the front half of your bottle.

4. Draw a circle on the back part of your bottle (I traced a measuring cup for my circle). Then, cut it out. Your bottle should look like this so far:

Sponge Holder from Shampoo Bottle

5. Round the edges of the back part of your bottle. I traced a lid to make it as even as possible.

6. Use your sand paper to smooth the rough edges of the plastic.

Sponge Holder from Shampoo Bottle

7. With scissors, poke small holes in the bottom of your sponge holder– this will allow water to drain from the holder.

Put your sponge in the little pocket and hang it on your faucet– you’re finished!

Sponge Holder from Shampoo Bottle

Other uses for your holder include:

• Put one on each of your childrens’ door knobs to put little notes in. This is a great way to remind them how wonderful and special they are!
  • Put one on your bathroom’s door knob to put hair ties and other small items in.
  • Hang it from a hook to store and organize your craft supplies!

There are so many possibilities! What would you do with a little holder like this?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Hello! I'm Bonnie -- a craft nerd, musician, writer, furniture and vintage lover, crafter, and diyer! If you would like to learn more about me, I also have my own blog, Revolutionaries, where I write about more craft projects, furniture redos, and my faith! You can also find me on , Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

19 Responses to How To: Sponge Holder from a Shampoo Bottle

1. What a clever solution! Maybe poke several drainage holes in the bottom, too, so the sponge can drip right into the sink?

• tracy says:

Just had to comment she did tell us to poke holes in the bottom to let water drain from the sponge.Great tip!

2. Rebecca says:

Poke drainage holes in the bottom and sides to avoid mold and mildew issues.

3. Cindy B says:

I love this idea and I think I would also poke a few holes in the bottom of the bottle in case water drips from the sponge and can then drip on out into the sink instead of sitting in the bottom of the bottle.

4. Amanda says:

This is a great idea! I love it! I might also drill a few holes in the bottom of the holder to let excess water drain out.

5. Jenny says:

Do you think a potato peeler or a sharp paring knife would be helpful in smoothing the jaggen edges into curves? I like this design! Currently, we put it between the faucet and backsplash, but then it clutters and gunks up the back of the counter/sink

• Jenny– I would think that a potato peeler or sharp paring knife would be helpful, but I haven’t tried it myself. If you try it out, please let us know how it goes! I completely understand about the “gunk”– I have the same issue and it drives me insane!!

6. You guys all mentioned the same thing haha! I actually did that, but failed to mention it in the post!! I will have to add it in– sorry about that. Thanks for taking the time to comment, though– I love your feedback :)

7. Marlo says:

Just made mine… added the drainage holes. Great idea and very useful!! Mine isn’t as pretty as yours but it works great! Thanks!!

8. Dizzy Dee says:

Wow, this is such a cool idea! I usually put my sponge on the tiled window sill – yes I know, not a very pretty sight from inside or outside the window! Will definitely give your shampoo bottle idea a try – now I just have to wait for an empty bottle!!

9. LadyLeigh says:

Make sure to add small holes in the bottom to allow extra moisture to drip out or you will have a mildewy mess…just a thought.

• Hey!! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! Step number 7 says to add small holes in the bottom :) Everyone keeps missing that step– I think it’s because it’s in between two pictures!

10. Linda says:

This looks great, I only found this today, but I did my own version with a yoghurt pot, here: http://makingthingsbeautifulagain.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/quick-post-quick-sink-solution.html and have put in a link to this tutorial!

Yay for green crafting! :)

11. kathy says:

Put it on your door knob for cell phone keys or other pocket stuff

12. Summer says:

So clever! Doing this with an empty bottle that’s in the recycle bin!

13. Pingback: 18 Insanely Clever DIY Organization Hacks | Style Motivation

14. heidi says:

GREAT IDEA! I think for me I’d not have the loop holder section but punch a small hole in the side of the bottle down in where I could insert the button of a suction cup and stick on the side of the sink. I’ll definitely poke holes in the bottom for drainage but thinking about it it’d be best to poke from the inside so the ridges push out not holding in even a little water. Wow I’m getting so many ideas, glue a magnet on the back for the refrigerator