Published on April 5th, 2012 | by Bonnie Getchell18
How To: Sponge Holder from a Shampoo Bottle
At my house we have a missing sponge issue– you know, when the sponge gets lost among the huge pile of dishes. My roommate and I went to the store hoping to find a solution, but all we found were overpriced sponge holders. I realize $10-$20 is not a lot for some people, but when you’re on a tight budget, it’s too much for a silly sponge holder!
I decided I would make our own holder. I had an empty shampoo bottle, so I went on Pinterest for some inspiration. When I found Make It and Love It’s Holder for Charging a Cell Phone that was made from a lotion bottle, I thought, “I could hang my sponge from the faucet of the sink!” Here’s how you can make your own.
What You Will Need:
1. An empty bottle. You can use a shampoo/conditioner bottle, lotion bottle, etc.
3. Pen or marker.
4. Sand paper.
How to Do It:
1. Clean out your empty bottle.
2. Cut off the top of your bottle. (Caution: The plastic becomes sharp once you cut it, so be careful!)
3. Mark with your pen/marker the height of the front of your bottle. I put my sponge up against the bottle and marked it a little bit above the half-way point. Cut the front half of your bottle.
4. Draw a circle on the back part of your bottle (I traced a measuring cup for my circle). Then, cut it out. Your bottle should look like this so far:
5. Round the edges of the back part of your bottle. I traced a lid to make it as even as possible.
6. Use your sand paper to smooth the rough edges of the plastic.
7. With scissors, poke small holes in the bottom of your sponge holder– this will allow water to drain from the holder.
Put your sponge in the little pocket and hang it on your faucet– you’re finished!
Other uses for your holder include:
- Put one on each of your childrens’ door knobs to put little notes in. This is a great way to remind them how wonderful and special they are!
- Put one on your bathroom’s door knob to put hair ties and other small items in.
- Hang it from a hook to store and organize your craft supplies!
There are so many possibilities! What would you do with a little holder like this?
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!