Tutorial + How-to plastic bottle lights. cc photo by flickr user f-r-a-n-k

Published on April 14th, 2010 | by Becky Striepe

Re-Inspiration: A New Life for Discarded Bottles

Plastic Bottle Lights

Whether we’re talking plastic or glass, empty bottles are full of potential. Sure, you can recycle them, but that still takes energy. In fact, both plastic and glass are often downcycled into products of lesser quality, which means they can only be recycled so many times before they end up in a landfill.

Of course, the obvious solution is to upcycle those bottles into something new. Need a little inspiration? We’ve got some upcycling eye candy to get you going!

Plastic Bottle Flowers

Soda Bottle Flowers

How sweet are these flowers made from recycled soda bottles by Frozen in Time? I love how she used the shape of the bottle to form the flowers and used darker paint on the tips of the flower petals. Gorgeous!

Wine Bottle Wind Chimes

Wine Bottle Wind Chimes

I’m loving the elegant simplicity of these wine bottle wind chimes that Wiccked shares. It looks like they were made using a bottle cutter to remove the bottoms, and assembled with wire and fishing line.

Recycled Plastic Bottle Lights

Plastic Bottle Lights

This cluster of plastic bottle lights is ingenious! It takes advantage of the various bottles’ colors, and looks pretty simple to string together. You’d probably just need the right sized drill bit and some hot glue to create your own strand of upcycled lights. Photo by F-R-A-N-K.

Let’s keep the re-inspiration going! What are some of your favorite projects for upcycling plastic and glass bottles?

[Image Credits: All photos via Flickr under a Creative Commons license.]

Tags: , , , , , ,

My name is Becky Striepe (rhymes with “sleepy”), and I am a crafts and food writer from Atlanta, Georgia with a passion for making our planet a healthier, happier, and more compassionate place to live. My mission is to make vegan food and crafts accessible to everyone!. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

20 Responses to Re-Inspiration: A New Life for Discarded Bottles

1. Taylen says:

the flowers are beautiful! along with the lights…a solar hot water heater is another great use (but not as pretty as these) 😛

2. Taylen says:

3. My fellow New Orleans Craft Mafia members, Heather Macfarlane and Mark Kirk make some amazing upcycled lighting installations using recycled plastic and glass bottles. (They also do great things with old Mardi Gras beads!) http://www.shopgreenneworleans.com/

I love the cluster of lights in that bottom picture of this post!

4. My fellow New Orleans Craft Mafia members, Heather Macfarlane and Mark Kirk make some amazing upcycled lighting installations using recycled plastic and glass bottles. (They also do great things with old Mardi Gras beads!) http://www.shopgreenneworleans.com/

I love the cluster of lights in that bottom picture of this post!

5. melanie says:

thanks for including my windchimes! That’s exactly how they’re made… hubby makes them :)

6. melanie says:

7. steven james says:

These are awesome ideas! I want to share my upcycled project, jewelry made from plastic bottles, in this case a bracelet > http://twitpic.com/1e3cg4

8. steven james says:

9. Di says:

Wow– the lights are gorgeous– love these ideas!!!

10. Di says:

Wow– the lights are gorgeous– love these ideas!!!

11. That’s a great idea! It looks nice and the reusable factor is amazing! I’m going to try it for sure! Thanks,

Nicolas
    simplegreenaction.ca team

12. That’s a great idea! It looks nice and the reusable factor is amazing! I’m going to try it for sure! Thanks,

Nicolas
    simplegreenaction.ca team

13. Linda says:

You may like to check out my blog where I talk, among other things, about plants and flowers crafted from soda bottles. Here’s one link:
    You can find the others by clicking on the “soda bottle” category on the right side of the page.

14. Linda says:

15. This is cool! And so interested! Are u have more posts like this? Please tell me, thanks

16. This is cool! And so interested! Are u have more posts like this? Please tell me, thanks

17. Majordan says:

These are Great! I shared this on my fb page!

18. Majordan says:

These are Great! I shared this on my fb page!