Published on February 21st, 2009 | by Julie Finn7
Five Felted Wool Weekend Projects
After you’ve followed my felted wool tutorial, you will find yourself left with–what else? Felted wool!
What to do, what to do?
The best thing is that there are loads of cool projects designed for felted wool, and its versatility means that there are just as many projects for beginners as there are for the most advanced crafters.
What to do with felted wool?
Well, here are five things to start with:
- Betz White, author of Warm Fuzzies (known to my little girlies as the “felt cupcake book! The felt cupcake book! Let’s make another batch of felt cupcakes!”), offers this tutorial for a felted wool rosette pomander. It’s even a gluing craft, not a sewing craft, for you non-seamsters out there. NOTE: Although the tutorial calls for a styrofoam sphere, unless you can thrift one, I’d recommend substituting an old tennis ball or whiffle ball.
- While not specifically a tutorial, The Long Thread shows off a set of felted wool flowers, each topped with a button center, that are straightforward to make and could be tacked to a piece of clothing, attached to a brooch, glued to a magnet, tied to a ponytail ring…
- Cut out some quick and easy fingerless gloves from some well-felted sweater sleeves, courtesy of The Paper Penny Rug, because you can’t play guitar OR take photographs while wearing gloves with fingers.
- We’re down to diapers only at night around here (on two of the four family members, you know–the two adults aren’t afraid of the dark and can get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, thank you very much), but for years these quick and dirty diaper covers, sewn from an equilateral triangle cut from felted wool, were our go-to cover. I love stuff that you make yourself, because you can modify it to make it exactly what you want it to be.
- I have a first-generation ipod that needs a lot of babying (Imagine–before we had kids, we used to be early adopters!), and I am all about the ipod cozy! This one, from West Coast Crafty, calls for blanket stitching around the edges, which I think makes anything look more awesome.
What do you make out of your felted wool?