Published on January 21st, 2009 | by Becky Striepe42
Crafty Reuse: Ten Projects for Old Wine Corks
If you’re anything like me, you tend to hoard things that look like they may be useful later: empty thread spools, glass jars, bottle caps, and those ubiquitous wine corks.
I’ve got a big bowl of corks in the kitchen that’s mocking me. They dare me to find a project to use them up. Well the joke’s on you, little corks! I didn’t just find one way to turn you into something new. I found ten.
- Make your next party fancy with wine cork place card holders! Just cut a small slit into each cork and slide the place card right in. Bonus points if the place cards are made from reused material, too. Maybe discarded cereal boxes?
- Glue slices of cork to the bottom of your flowerpots to keep them from scratching the floor or your deck and give any moisture a place to go!
- You can slice the cork into rounds that would work wonderfully as beads for a necklace or bracelet!
- Make a trivet! All you need is a wooden frame, a bunch of corks, and glue!
- Similar to the trivet, a cork board is a good project if you have a big collection of corks. Peter Beardsley made a really cool cork board, and you can see the steps on his Flickr! (Creative Commons photo)
- In the Garden. Put slices of cork into the blender. It makes a great mulch and helps your garden hold on to water.
- Corks make great stamps! Check out Elaine’s awesome cork stamps. (Creative Commons photo):
- Design Sponge has a different take on the wine cork trivet. It looks a bit more labor-intensive, but the results are so delicate!
- I know, we just made it through the holidays, but I couldn’t resist this awesome tutorial for making wine cork Christmas ornaments over at Indie Fixx!
- Do you have a ton of old corks that need a new life? You can slice those suckers in half lengthwise and attach them to the wall along the floor or at waist height to make a cork chair rail!
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!