Published on December 9th, 2008 | by Julie Finn16
Kitschy Christmas Record Albums=Kitschy Christmas Tree Ornaments: A Tutorial
So you’ve made yourself some kitschy Christmas record bowls, but now you have all these kitschy Christmas record album covers lying around–what to do, what to do? Sometimes I make kitschy boxes out of my album covers, but you know, my tree could really use more kitsch, as well…let’s make some ornaments!
You will need: kitschy Christmas cardboard record album covers, sturdy scissors, perhaps some nice scrapbook or wrapping paper and glue, a hole punch, and an ornament hanger
1. Choose a record album cover that has a kitschy image on it just screaming to be hung from your tree, and cut apart the front and back of the cover.
2. If the backside of the image you want is ugly, you can glue or spray mount some pretty paper to cover it, but if the back is just plain cardboard, I often just leave it bare–cardboard on a Christmas tree? Awesome!
3. Using your sturdy scissors, cut out your image. You can use a cookie cutter or other template, or just freehand it.
4. If you’ve glued pretty paper to the back of your image, double-check after you cut it out that the paper is evenly stuck down around the edges, and reglue if necessary.
5. Try hanging your image gently between two fingers to find the point at which it will hang evenly, then punch a hole there and insert your ornament hanger.
6. Hang. Admire.
You totally make your own ornaments, too, don’t you? What do you make them from?
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!