Tutorial + How-to

Published on December 9th, 2008 | by Julie Finn

Kitschy Christmas Record Albums=Kitschy Christmas Tree Ornaments: A Tutorial

Perry Como says Merry Christmas!So you’ve made yourself some kitschy Christmas record bowls, but now you have all these kitschy Christmas record album covers lying around–what to do, what to do? Sometimes I make kitschy boxes out of my album covers, but you know, my tree could really use more kitsch, as well…let’s make some ornaments!

You will need: kitschy Christmas cardboard record album covers, sturdy scissors, perhaps some nice scrapbook or wrapping paper and glue, a hole punch, and an ornament hanger

1. Choose a record album cover that has a kitschy image on it just screaming to be hung from your tree, and cut apart the front and back of the cover.

Cut Out Your Image2. If the backside of the image you want is ugly, you can glue or spray mount some pretty paper to cover it, but if the back is just plain cardboard, I often just leave it bare–cardboard on a Christmas tree? Awesome!

3. Using your sturdy scissors, cut out your image. You can use a cookie cutter or other template, or just freehand it.

Hang Up Your Awesomeness!4. If you’ve glued pretty paper to the back of your image, double-check after you cut it out that the paper is evenly stuck down around the edges, and reglue if necessary.

5. Try hanging your image gently between two fingers to find the point at which it will hang evenly, then punch a hole there and insert your ornament hanger.

6. Hang. Admire.

You totally make your own ornaments, too, don’t you? What do you make them from?

Tags: , , , , ,

I'm a writer, crafter, Zombie Preparedness Planner, and homeschooling momma of two kids who will hopefully someday transition into using their genius for good, not the evil machinations and mess-making in which they currently indulge. I'm interested in recycling and nature crafts, food security, STEM education, and the DIY lifestyle, however it's manifested--making myself some underwear out of T-shirts? Done it. Teaching myself guitar? Doing it right now. Visit my blog Craft Knife for a peek at our very weird handmade homeschool life; my etsy shop Pumpkin+Bear for a truly odd number of rainbow-themed beeswax pretties; and my for links to articles about poverty, educational politics, and this famous cat who lives in my neighborhood.

16 Responses to Kitschy Christmas Record Albums=Kitschy Christmas Tree Ornaments: A Tutorial

1. Rachel says:

I love these so, SO much! FABULOUS! I have an old record album that I bought because it had troll dolls all over it. Now I know how to use it in all it’s glory. I’ll be linking.

2. Rachel says:

3. Rachel says:

4. Rachel says:

5. Kristina says:

Of course I make ornaments! I make treetopper angels with a toilet-paper tube as the base. I make gingerbread men and holly wreaths with Sculpey. When I was in preschool, I glued bits of felt and cotton to a plastic spoon (with guidance) and made the quintessential Spoon Man, who still hangs on our tree. I love making ornaments.

6. Kristina says:

7. Kristina says:

8. Kristina says:

9. We do! At our Christmas parties the past two years, we spread craft supplies out on the kitchen table. Our tree is covered in ornaments that we and our friends made!

10. We do! At our Christmas parties the past two years, we spread craft supplies out on the kitchen table. Our tree is covered in ornaments that we and our friends made!

11. We do! At our Christmas parties the past two years, we spread craft supplies out on the kitchen table. Our tree is covered in ornaments that we and our friends made!

12. We do! At our Christmas parties the past two years, we spread craft supplies out on the kitchen table. Our tree is covered in ornaments that we and our friends made!

13. Julie Finn says:

We have our first tree this year, and my goal is to have only handmade ornaments or vintage hand-me-downs from my childhood. Of course, this year my girls mostly nestled their plastic dinosaur toys in all the branches, so that’s another idea, I guess…

14. Julie Finn says: