Accessories

Published on January 7th, 2008 | by Juliet Ames

So Much Plastic, So Little Time!

According to The Environmental Literacy Council, plastics make up 25% of all waste in landfills when buried. It is a good thing that crafters are finding ways to appropriate this versitale and plentiful material into their creations.

Take, for example, these adorable bird coin purses from Etsy seller Bird Versus Bird which are made from vinyl scraps from a sign shop. Imagine how many vinyl banners from State Fair corndog stands are filling up landfills? Yuck. This seller also uses repurposed and recyclable materials for packaging in order to reduce waste.

This “Beer-merang” necklace earned its name from the boomerang shape and the fact that it was made using the plastic rings from a 6 pack of PBR beer. Saving critters lives, recycling, and looking cool, that is what it is all about! Check out Muse Glass for more styles.

If you have ever visited the record section of a thrift store, you will know that they have more discarded vinyl there then anyone knows what to do with. How many Kenny Rogers records does one store need? Nature Vs. Machine brings us this stunning vinyl record and sterling silver lotus necklace. Kenny Rogers never looked so good!

We all have some records laying around, don’t we? Instead of adding to a landfill or the thrift store collection, why not make some funky chip bowls like this one? Check out these instructions from Instructables to find out just how easy it is. (Just make sure that your record is not valuable collector’s first!) I think I know what to do with my old Alvin and the Chipmunks album!

There are so many ways to use recycled plastics in crafting – I could go on all day! Feel free to share your plastic crafts in a comment!

[Images courtesy of Bird versus Bird, Muse Glass, Nature vs. Machine, and Instructables.]

Tags: , , ,

Juliet Ames breaks plates for a living. A metals and craft major at Towson University, Ames went on to work for the Howard County Arts Council organizing gallery exhibits. Meanwhile, she kept up her own craftwork. The plate-breaking started with a mosaic mailbox. “There were leftover pieces, so I soldered them and wrapped them around my neck and got a lot of compliments,” says Ames, 28, who just had her first child, a boy.

32 Responses to So Much Plastic, So Little Time!

1. Jenny Macc says:

My friend just joined up at etsy. She loves plastic! Here is a link to her shop,

2. Jenny Macc says:

3. Jenny Macc says:

4. Kendra Holliday says:

These are all so cute! I’m a sucker for birds. And beer. :)

5. Birds and beer – that sounds like a dangerous combination, Kendra. ;)

VE

6. Birds and beer – that sounds like a dangerous combination, Kendra. ;)

VE

7. Birds and beer – that sounds like a dangerous combination, Kendra. ;)

VE

8. Birds and beer – that sounds like a dangerous combination, Kendra. ;)

VE

9. Juliet Ames says:

Jenny – Your friends dolls are so much fun! I love the Thank You doll!

Kendra and Victoria – Beer and birds are the reason I am a crafter…=)

10. Juliet Ames says:

Jenny – Your friends dolls are so much fun! I love the Thank You doll!

Kendra and Victoria – Beer and birds are the reason I am a crafter…=)

11. Juliet Ames says:

Jenny – Your friends dolls are so much fun! I love the Thank You doll!

Kendra and Victoria – Beer and birds are the reason I am a crafter…=)

12. Pingback: Victoria Everman :: Writer, Model, Environmentalist, Crafter, Yogi » Blog Archive » Weekly Green Crafts: CAGW Round-Up for Jan 5th-11th

13. RecycleCindy says:

It’s always wonderful to read different posts about recycling and crafting with plastic. If anyone out there is interested in crocheting with plastic bags, I have lots of fun patterns and crafting ideas at http://www.myrecycledbags.com. Everything is free for personal use and I hope to inspire some of you to try this unique crafting. Best wishes and happy green crafting to everyone!

14. RecycleCindy says:

15. RecycleCindy says:

16. RecycleCindy says:

17. RecycleCindy says:

18. Jenn says:

Such gorgeous work! Here’s an idea I came up with for old 45 records– a DIY mail organizer– it’s totally organized the landing-strip area in my entryway!

19. Jenn says:

20. Jenn says:

21. Jenn says:

22. Jenn says:

23. Juliet Ames says:

R.Cindy-Those bags are fantastic! I especially love the bread bag! Those were a lot of carbs!

Jenn-Great Idea! Kind of Dali-esque.

24. Juliet Ames says:

Jenn-Great Idea! Kind of Dali-esque.

25. Juliet Ames says:

Jenn-Great Idea! Kind of Dali-esque.

26. Misti says:

Great site! And, thank you for recognizing my work. I am honored to be mentioned on your blog. -Misti, Nature vs Machine Designs

27. Misti says: