Tutorial + How-to

Published on November 4th, 2008 | by Julie Finn

DIY Vinyl: Paint It and Hang It!

Author's photo of her painted recordYes, yes, record bowls are pretty sweet, but they’re really only righteously cool when the record itself is something cool–the St. Olaf Choir Sings Feliz Navidad, say, or The White Album, or Songs and Games to Develop Gross Motor Skills. When the record isn’t classic or cheesy or thematically-appropriate or doesn’t fit in with your personal style guide, don’t make a bowl out of it and don’t throw it out–slap some acrylic paint and some glitter and sequins on that baby and hang it up in style!

You will need: a record album, gesso, acrylic paint, embellishments (see below), your choice of sealant/varnish, your choice of hanging mechanism (see below)

1. Decide if you’re going to want your painted album to hang free or against a wall. If you want your record to hang against a wall, only gesso one side. If you want your record to hang free, give both sides of your record album a few good coats of gesso, letting it dry thoroughly between coats and between sides. Gesso will help the paint stick and give you a blank canvas.

Author's photo of her daughters painting records2. Go hog wild. You can paint using your acrylic paint; collage with photos, magazine images, or scrapbook paper; slap on some glitter–whatever turns you on. Don’t add any 3D elements such as buttons, sequins, or yarn at this point, however–you’ll likely want to seal your flat work first.

3.  If you’re painting both sides of your album, let the first side dry and then do the flip side.

4. When all your artwork is dry, give it a few good coats of your choice of sealant/varnish. Some likely choices are a varnish made specifically for acrylic paints, or a clear glue such as Mod Podge.

5. If you want to add any 3D embellishments, put them on after the sealant is dry using a good strong clear glue such as E600.

6. Hang up your masterpiece with a loop of twine, a hook, some ball chain, etc. Make people come over and tell you how awesome you are.

Have even more vinyl records? Make some vinyl wrist cuffs. Or a clock. Okay, fine–make a record bowl.

Tags: , , , ,

I'm a writer, crafter, Zombie Preparedness Planner, and homeschooling momma of two kids who will hopefully someday transition into using their genius for good, not the evil machinations and mess-making in which they currently indulge. I'm interested in recycling and nature crafts, food security, STEM education, and the DIY lifestyle, however it's manifested--making myself some underwear out of T-shirts? Done it. Teaching myself guitar? Doing it right now. Visit my blog Craft Knife for a peek at our very weird handmade homeschool life; my etsy shop Pumpkin+Bear for a truly odd number of rainbow-themed beeswax pretties; and my for links to articles about poverty, educational politics, and this famous cat who lives in my neighborhood.

25 Responses to DIY Vinyl: Paint It and Hang It!

1. JB Silks says:

Thanks for reminding me about the record bowl! i used to make them when i was younger, will be great to have my kids play and create them!

2. JB Silks says:

3. JB Silks says:

4. Beth Allen says:

I just stumbled upon your site and I LOVE it. Such great ideas! I will definitely be making these with my kids.

5. Beth Allen says:

6. Beth Allen says:

7. Julie Finn says:

I mess around with paint and can embellish things pretty well, but I’d love to see what a real artist could choose to do with this idea–a round portrait?

8. Julie Finn says:

9. Julie Finn says:

10. Daniel Edlen says:

How ’bout mine?

Peace.

11. Daniel Edlen says:

How ’bout mine?

Peace.

12. Daniel Edlen says:

How ’bout mine?

Peace.

13. Pingback: My Natural Furniture » Blog Archive » DIY Vinyl: Paint It and Hang It!

14. T. Beagler says:

Yeah, what’s this obsession with the record bowls? I’ve just started playing around with some vinyl record art myself. I draw music themed artwork (musicians’ portraits and caricatures) on fluorescent poster board and mount it on the vinyl for wall hangings or to display on the mantle. Doubt if I’ll make a living off of it, but it’s fun as well as therapeutic.

15. T. Beagler says:

16. T. Beagler says:

17. Julie Finn says:

I really love the idea of mounting your artwork on the vinyl–what a great background, and possibly with its own hanging hole.

18. Julie Finn says:

19. Julie Finn says:

20. Daniel Edlen says:

I just started turning my handpainted portraits on records into cool groupings. I did the Beatles first. I didn’t know if you’d checked out my work before.

Peace.

21. Daniel Edlen says:

Peace.

22. Daniel Edlen says:

Peace.

23. julie says:

we are doing an art project and are spray painting vinyl LP’s so the kids have a base coat and then we want to do graffiti on them black marker pen draws the outline but wat sort of pens can we use to colour in the names of the kids please help x

24. julie says: