Accessories Cassette Tape Wallet

Published on August 18th, 2008 | by Kelly Rand

Mix Tape Remix

Cassette Tape Wallet Creating mix tapes was an essential part of growing up. Spending hours poring over music, getting the mix just right. Fast-forwarding and rewinding to ensure the perfect timing. Waiting patiently listening to the radio, to record that perfect song (a past time that today’s youth will never no the joys. But that’s a rant for anther time.) And all for that special someone.

And being on the receiving end of a treasured mix tape, you knew that your love would last forever. That is until he started to make a tape for that girl in second period math class.

Ah young, fickle love.

Taking cassettes to the next level, these crafters have taken old tapes and remade them, or remixed them, into some pretty nifty items:

And finally –

All of the examples are great ways to transform those mix tapes into something either to treasure always or get the great satisfaction of primal destruction and revenge after a break up.

More handmade goodness:

[Image credit: freepepper and goblingblinggo]

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Kelly covers visual arts in and around Washington, DC for DCist and is editor of Crafting a Green World. Kelly has also been published by Bust Magazine and you can find her byline at Indie Fixx and Etsy’s Storque and has taught in Etsy’s virtual lab on the topic of green crafting. Kelly helps organize Crafty Bastards: Arts and Crafts Fair, one of the largest indie craft fairs on the east coast and has served on the Craft Bastard’s jury since 2007. Kelly is also co-founder of Hello Craft a nonprofit trade association dedicated to the advancement of independent crafters and the handmade movement. Kelly resides in Washington, D.C. and believes that handmade will save the world.

11 Responses to Mix Tape Remix

1. Becky says:

I just have to laugh at this because I used to spend hours making those mix tapes. Except it wasn’t for anyone special…I was just a broke middle-schooler who couldn’t afford to buy cds of all the songs I like!

2. Becky says:

3. Becky says:

4. Pingback: None of your Beeswax : Crafting a Green World

5. Pingback: New Life for Old CDs : Crafting a Green World

6. customink says:

hey, just wanted to say thanks for mentioning my belt buckles :) i love make magazines ipod cover, amazing !

7. customink says: