Use our free printable template to make your own recipe cards from brown paper shopping bags!
These easy and quick brown paper bag recipe cards were inspired by the Brown Paper Seed Packet Business Cards. I loved the idea of repurposing brown paper bags, but didn’t really need business cards. What I needed was recipe cards to fit in a new recipe box I got as a gift. I created a recipe card design and printed it onto pieces of brown paper bag. Two thicknesses of paper make these cards durable and allow for overflow directions on the back.
To make your own brown paper bag recipe cards follow these easy step by step instructions. Make a set of blank cards to give as a housewarming or wedding gift.
- Open brown paper bag along all seams and lay flat. If the wrinkles bother you then use a press cloth and iron them out. I leave my paper wrinkled because I think it adds character.
- Cut brown paper into 6.5″ x 8.5″ rectangles (sized for the PDF included in this tutorial).
- Download and open this PDF featuring my recipe card design (offered under Creative Commons Attribution license). Set print paper size to custom: 6.5″ x 8.5″. Set all print margins to 0. You may have to do a few test runs to get all the settings right.
- Insert brown paper into printer. For my printer I needed to insert the paper plain side down.
- Print PDF onto brown paper.
- Score and fold recipe card along the light grey line in the middle.
- Apply glue to one half of the back side of paper. Press two sides together.
- Use paper cutter or scissors to trim recipe card to the light grey lines on three raw edges.
Brown Paper Bag Recipe Card by Jackie Hernandez is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
[Images courtesy of Jackie Hernandez, Crafting A Green World]