You totally know that a bunting makes a party more festive, right? There’s nothing happier than those little triangular flags, gaily waving in the breeze. But do you know what would make a happy little bunting even happier? If it was made from your skinny jeans. Live in the moment, my friends; love your body, and I’ll show you how to upcycle your old jeans into some party flags.
You will need: a pair of jeans; double-fold bias tape (or you can make your own!); cardboard; rotary cutter and mat; sewing machine and thread
1. Your pennant flag template will be an isosceles triangle. You can make your flag template any size you want–my flag template is 8″ at the base and 11.5″ at each of the remaining two sides, and I think it’s a nice size for a flag. Figure out if you’re a big-flag or a small-flag person, and cut your template out of cardboard.
2. Cut your jeans in half from inner ankle to inner ankle, and lay it out on your cutting mat. Lay your template on the jeans and cut out as many pennant flags as you can. Don’t be afraid to include details such as portions of a pocket, or seams, or worn spots, or patches in your flags; they add character.
3. Using your sewing machine, sew up and down the two equal sides a couple of times–these are the sides that will be hanging. If you do need to wash your bunting, the denim will fray, but that will make it look even cooler and this stitching along the edges will keep it from fraying too much. Feel free to make your stitching a little messy–this also adds character, I assert!
4. Take your purchased or previously-made double-fold bias tape (you should totally make your own–it rules!) and sew it closed for about a foot, and then begin to slip the base of each flag into the crease of the tape and sew it in. Space each flag anywhere between 1″-2″ apart; as long as your spacing is even, it’ll look good.
5. After your last flag is sewn in, continue sewing the bias tape shut for about another foot–this will give you plenty of length on either side to tie it up.
6. Admire your awesomeness.
Later, I’ll show you an easy way to add appliques to your bunting–you can commemorate holidays, or just spell out dirty words. Whatever.