Published on October 29th, 2015 | by Bonnie Getchell0
Turn an Old Birdcage into a Modern Decor Piece
Turn a thrifted old birdcage into a fresh piece of modern birdcage decor!
I recently found an old bird cage at a thrift store that needed some updating. With a little bit of paint and a few items that I had on hand, I turned an average bird cage into a beautiful decor piece!
DIY Modern Birdcage Decor Piece
What You Will Need:
+ a bird cage. Preferably try to find a bird cage where you can easily put items inside.
+ spray paint. If you can, use low VOC spray paint— it’s more eco-friendly!
+ your imagination!
How To Do It:
1. Clean your bird cage of all of that thrift store dust! I also had to remove two small stickers from the bottom of my cage. You can easily remove stickers with vinegar.
2. Spray paint it! Remember, several light coats of spray paint are better than one heavy coat– heavy coats can give you drips.
Once your spray paint has completely dried, it’s time to use your imagination! Go “shopping” around your home and find items that you can put inside the bird cage. If you can’t find anything at home, try searching for items at your local thrift store. I tried decorative balls (pictured above), a few figurines, and then my collection of corks:
I also put a couple of candles inside, which would be really beautiful and relaxing in any room of your home. Make your own beeswax candles or buy a pure Malie candle to make it even more eco-friendly!
Here are some other ideas for modern bird cage decor:
- Change out seasonal items like pumpkins for Halloween and Thanksgiving, tree ornaments for Christmas, hearts for Valentine’s Day, etc.
- Put flowers inside for a beautiful and eco-friendly wedding centerpiece.
- Turn your bird cage into a chandelier!
- Bring nature indoors with a bird cage planter.
How would you decorate with a modern bird cage? Share your ideas with us in the comment section below!