Published on March 17th, 2015 | by Crunchy Scott0
St. Patrick’s Day DIY: Shamrock Craft
It’s St. Patrick’s Day. You’ve got to pull off a craft…ASAP. And all you have are leftover heart-shaped thingies laying around from Valentine’s Day. Gulp!
Heck NO! As a friend of Mother Nature, you can’t let a holiday where GREEN is so highly celebrated just slip by. So grab those empty Valentine containers and let’s DIY a shamrock craft. (Can you hear the Irish music now?)
- Heart-shaped candy containers (the clear ones from Valentine’s Day)
- Green tissue paper (check your Christmas stash)
- Glue gun (low temp for kids)
- Green jar or juice lids (2)
- Clean any stickers or other Valentine-ish-type stuff from your containers.
- Rip tissue paper into small pieces.
- Paint thin layer of glue onto the inside of the heart container.
- Attach tissue paper pieces to the inside of your container. You can do this randomly, or create a pattern. It all looks nice.
- Once you’ve covered the inside with green tissue paper, coat with a thin layer of glue.
- Repeat this process for your other containers. The number of containers you do will depend on if you want a 3-leaf shamrock or a 4-leaf clover. Four-leaf clovers mean good luck. Just sayin’.
- When everything is dry, put a dab of hot glue onto four corners of the juice top.
- Attach the bottom tip of each heart to each dab of glue. The four hearts should form a shamrock.
- Press the tips down with your fingers so they adhere.
- If you didn’t make a mess of the juice top with all that glue, you can just leave it. But I actually added another green juice lid so it looked a little cleaner. You can also glue and glitter the top portion to hide the blue blobs.
- Hang this in a window so you can see the beautiful stained glass effect you’ve created!
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!
Want to continue the party? Learn how to make a recycled green garland here!