Published on August 16th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell0
Thrift Store Finds Before & After: An Owl Mail Holder
How do you achieve a thrift store makeover miracle? With a little bit of paint and hard work, it’s easy to update your home with thrift store finds!
As we’ve shared before, reusing is green! Buying second-hand not only reduces waste, but it also helps you avoid the impact of buying new. If you’re looking for furniture or other decor for your home, you can most likely find what you’re looking for at a thrift store or garage sale. Those thrift store fings may not be exactly the color you’re looking for, but we can fix that!
A few weeks ago, I scored an adorable vintage mail holder at a garage sale for $3. Here’s how I gave it a makeover to match my style and decor.
Thrift Store Finds: What You Will Need
1. An old item from a thrift store or garage sale that needs a makeover
2. Spray paint. Spray paint isn’t the greenest craft supply, so opt for low VOC spray paint, if you can.
3. Sand paper
How To Do It
1. Lightly sand your item. In my case, I didn’t sand a lot because the surface was pretty rough.
2. Spray paint it the color of your choice. I chose a nice and neutral cream color.
3. If you want to give the piece a shabby chic look, you can use sand paper to distress the edges like so: