Published on March 3rd, 2011 | by Kelly Rand63
ReSew Giveaway and Tutorial!
This little basket was made from the leftover scraps of two wool sweaters I just couldn’t throw out. The basket is completely hand-sewn; no sewing machine needed! I opted for a solid color on the inside of this basket and a colorful stripe on the outside, but you can choose whatever color combinations you like. You can also make the basket from just one sweater, with the same fabric on the inside and the outside of the basket.
To make the basket, here’s what you’ll need:
- Two 100% wool sweaters (or just one)
- Scissors or rotary-cutting equipment
- A ruler
- Measuring tape, or rotary ruler
- Long pins
- Thick thread or thin yarn to coordinate with your sweaters (I used perle cotton thread)
- A large-eye needle
- Sewing thread to coordinate with your sweaters
- A piece of corrugated cardboard, about 9″ x 9″
- Buttons (optional)
Note: Your wool sweaters need to be “felted” so they won’t fray when cut. To felt a sweater, simply machine wash and dry it, using cycles you would normally use. You may need to wash your sweater more than once for it to fully felt. When you can’t see the stitches in the sweater any longer, you’ll know it’s felted enough to cut into it without any unraveling.