DIY Crafts

Published on November 3rd, 2010 | by Becky Striepe

Five Crafty Ways to Reuse Magazines

magazine origami

2. Origami

Magazine pages are perfect for folding origami! They’re a little bit flimsier than the origami paper you’re probably used to, so use a gentle hand to avoid tearing. The magazine pages hold folds really well, though. Just cut the paper into squares, and you’re ready to fold.

Next>> Paper Bowl

Tags: , , , , , ,

My name is Becky Striepe (rhymes with “sleepy”), and I am a crafts and food writer from Atlanta, Georgia with a passion for making our planet a healthier, happier, and more compassionate place to live. My mission is to make vegan food and crafts accessible to everyone!. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

10 Responses to Five Crafty Ways to Reuse Magazines

1. Jblc says:

Google “rolled paper boxes” – use magazine pages rolled around a small skewer or knitting needle to make long tightly rolled tubes. Tubes are glued onto the outside or a box. Add a lid finished in the same way. These can be painted or left as-is and varnished and the insides finished with fancy paper or material. Looks very “oriental”. Make lovely gift boxes or “keepsake” boxes.

2. Jen says:

Thanks so much for these great ideas, especially the envelopes and gift bows! I try to pass on old magazines to others when I’m done with them, but when that doesn’t work out, these craft ideas will be really helpful. I’ll definitely be trying these out for the holidays this year!

• Shalidarlady says:

My postmaster had an absolute fit when I took some enveloopes in that I had made from magazine pages. Even had press on labels so they could be seen better. She said that these cause a serious problem in the mail and I should only use them for cards I hand out to others. Just thought I’d mention it.

• Nancy Smith says:

This varies according to postoffice. If the size is legal, and the art is well adhered, they are supposed to accept it. There are art groups on Yahoo that do this. If you want the name of a hostess of one (send 5 for 5 or 10 for 10),
        I will furnish the name. Everyplace I have lived has been cooperative

3. Collage Cafe04 says:

Oh and let’s not forget the time old favorite of creating collages… or in today’s vernacular ‘vision boards’! We just had a session the other evening… a few girlfriends, stretched canvas (we are making ART after all), a little wine, and magazines, glue, scissors….. great evening!

4. hannah leigh says:

oh how i love school…………NOT!!! :L

5. hannah leigh says:

boreddddddddddd!!!

6. Jacqueline arroyo says:

I absolute love your creative ideas and love to recycle quite a bit myself. I’ve been on this mission to really use what I have and avoid going to the craft store. One of my favorite things to do with magazines, cover up boxes and make unique and cute, personalized purses. Check them out in my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=357463496349&aid=198556#!/photo.php?fbid=357625136349&set=a.357624731349.198556.357463496349&theater

7. Pingback: Crafting a Green World | How To: Magazine Place Cards | Page: 1 | Crafting a Green World