Published on January 27th, 2017 | by Julie Finn0
11 Upcycled Mandalas from CDs, DVDs, and Vinyl Record Albums
CDs, DVDs, and old vinyl records are a great base for constructing mandalas on top of, because they’re already perfectly round, and so sturdy that you can display your finished, upcycled mandalas anywhere you’d like.
Here are some ideas for what you can put on YOUR upcycled mandalas, whether you make them from CDs, DVDs, or scratched record albums:
1. button mandala. This is a great way to use up a big stash of boring buttons, because even the black and white ones (which you know you have tons of) look gorgeous in a mandala pattern.
2. candle holder. The tutorial calls for three CDs, with the top CD embellished as a mandala, if you wish.
3. CD plus large-format art paper. Here’s an interesting art assignment: use the CD as the center of the mandala, and extend it onto paper all around.
5. Scratch art mandala. This is one of the easiest mandalas to make–just paint it and then scratch it!
6. seed and spice mandala. Replace your sand art materials with these natural materials.
7. Sharpie and paint mandala. Here’s a kid-friendly mandala to make with materials that you probably already have around the house.
8. Use multiple CDs. This giant mandala, great for a large wall space, is made from several CDs!
9. Use templates. Here are some lovely templates for creating CD mandalas that look like flowers. Use this basic method for tracing the templates and coloring them in, although you’ll want to source eco-friendly materials.
10. vinyl record bowl. It’s not symmetrical like a mandala, but it IS round…
11. Woven mandala. These are so beautiful, and they’re simple to do. The tute also tells you how to transform your finished mandala into a dream catcher.