Published on September 21st, 2016 | by Julie Finn0
26 Projects to Make with Plarn
Check out all of the awesome stuff that you can make with plarn, including how to make plastic yarn in the first place.
Plarn is yarn that you make by cutting up and knotting together plastic bags. If you’re used to knitting and crocheting with natural fibers like cotton and wool, it might sound gross to put plastic on your knitting needles, but check out all of the awesome stuff that you can make with plarn!
1. how to make it. Start here to learn how to make plarn.
2. apron. I wouldn’t use this while cooking, because of the possibility of it touching a heat source, but it would be just the thing to wear while deep cleaning the house.
3. backpack. Use this plarn backpack for all your swim gear.
4. baseball cap. I often wear a baseball cap to keep the sun off of my face when I’m wading or creek stomping. A plarn baseball cap won’t stay wet for hours afterwards!
5. bracelet. Plarn makes a sturdy–and free!–cording to use for bracelets.
6. can cozy. The finished plarn cozy is nice and grippy, and won’t retain dampness.
7. coasters. This method is unusual in that the coasters are slightly melted after being crocheted.
8. dog leash. Here’s a cute leash for a smaller or well-trained dog.
9. flowers. Use a loom tool to make these embellishments or gift toppers.
10. gift bag. Embellish it with any of the ornaments also listed here!
11. handbag. It’s made to have a wrist loop instead of an over-the-shoulder strap.
12. laundry basket. The technique used here makes this laundry basket super sturdy.
13. market bag. You can never have too many re-usable market bags for the grocery store.
14. ornament. Stuff it with the parts of the plastic bags that you can’t use to make plarn.
15. placemats and coasters. Use these when you eat out on your deck, then give them a rinse with the hose and they’re ready to use again.
16. pop tab and heart. These hearts would make great ornaments, gift toppers, or valentines!
17. purse. This would look especially cute if you have a collection of extra-nice plastic bags in a single color.
18. rug. A plarn rug would work well as a bath mat or floor mat for your car.
19. sandals. I wouldn’t wear these outside, necessarily, but they would make excellent shower shoes.
20. scrubbies. I have a bunch of these–they last forever, and they’re excellent for washing dishes!
21. shopping bag. This bag has the square sides that make it look like most other re-usable shopping bags.
23. square bangles. These plarn bracelets are interesting and unusual.
24. sun hat. Throw this sun hat in the car and pull it out whenever you find yourself at the beach!
25. water bottle holder. This is a great use for plarn, since it doesn’t matter if it gets wet.
26. wet swimsuit pouch. Here’s an easy way to keep all of your swimsuit stuff together in a larger tote.
Image Credit: Creative Commons Plarn photo by EraPhernalia Vintage