Published on May 3rd, 2016 | by Becky Striepe1
DIY Teacher Appreciation Gift Ideas
These are DIY teacher appreciation gift ideas that your kids’ teachers will actually love.
The end of the school year is nigh, and that means it’s time to treat your favorite teachers to a little something special. These DIY teacher appreciation gift ideas are things that teachers actually want. Really. My mom has been teaching for more than 30 years, and I asked her. Apparently, what teachers love most are coffee, tea, flowers, and things related to those items.
1. Glitter Mason Jars – I made these as a gift for my son’s very first preschool teacher and filled it with fresh flowers and herbs from our garden. I also maybe kept a few for myself, and they’re great to use as vases or to store crafty supplies. Who doesn’t love storage?
2. Recycled Gift Card Holder – This was always my mom’s favorite thing. Teachers don’t get paid very well, so a chance to treat herself was so nice. Target and Starbucks are two of her faves. You can go in with other parents for something really generous and make your teacher’s day!
3. Hand-Mixed Teas – What teacher doesn’t love a soothing cup of tea after dealing with a classroom full of little monsters all day? Not that your kid is a monster. But a swarm of kids is no joke, y’all.
4. Glitter Mug – This would be a nice gift to go with that tea! It would also be lovely paired with a pound of good coffee, because, real talk: teachers run on coffee.
5. Monogram Mug – Instead of new mugs, use some that you score at the thrift to make these cute, personalized mugs for your favorite teacher.
6. Upcycled Tin Can Vase – If you’re glitter-averse, try this simple way to give your favorite teacher some fresh flowers and herbs, this time in an old tin can.
7. Pom Pom Bouquet – Cut flowers aren’t everyone’s thing. Instead of flowers that eventually wilt, you can give a crafty forever bouquet!
8. Thank You Card – Raid your recycle bin for some cardboard, and make these cute cardboard thank-yous! We did a version of these this year and had my three-year-old son tell us his favorite thing about each teacher, so we could write it on the back. It turned out so cute!
9. Upcycled Vase – Here are 12 more ways to give flowers, real or handmade.