Published on November 9th, 2013 | by Becky Striepe1
School Lunch Ideas: 7 Crafty Ways to Pack a Waste-Free Lunch
A healthy bagged lunch is as much about the packaging as the food inside. Check out these DIY school lunch ideas for a waste-free lunch!
Of course you want to pack a healthy lunch for yourself and your family to take to work or school, and you don’t want to ruin it by wrapping up your kiddo’s sandwich in toxic plastic or using disposable plastic utensils for that healthy salad.
You can buy plastic free school lunch containers, but making your own is a great way to have a waste-free lunch without spending as much money. These school lunch ideas are all easy to make, even if you only have basic sewing skills.
Of course, you’ll want to use eco-friendly fabric for these projects, since the whole idea is to make your lunch healthier and kinder to the planet, right?
One important part of no-waste school lunches is definitely choosing reusable utensils. You can really just use the same ones you use at every meal, but if you want something special just for lunch, check out these reusable bamboo utensils.
DIY, Waste-Free School Lunch Ideas
1. Reusable Snack Bag – For not-too-messy sandwiches and snacks, a cloth snack bag is the perfect reusable alternative to plastic baggies.
2. Cloth Napkins – It’s easy as pie to make your own machine-washable cloth napkins. You’ll save so much money by cutting out the disposable napkins or paper towels!
3. Notebook Lunch Bag – Use striped fabric, embroidery thread, and a fabric marker to make a lunch bag with a custom message.
4. Green Space Travel Case – I love how Paige at Design Sponge turned a vintage metal lunchbox into an instant picnic!
5. Utensil Wrap – This utensil wrap doubles as a cloth napkin. The wrap protects your lunch bag from your dirty utensils, and you can use it to wipe your mouth while you eat.
6. Burlap Silverware Holder – If you prefer a sleeve for your utensils to a wrap, thy making this sleeve a little bit taller, and it’s perfect for toting your dirty silverware home without it messing up the inside of your lunch bag.
7. Bicycle Frame Lunch Bag – Do you or your kid ride a bike to work or school? This DIY lunch bag attaches to the frame for easy toting.
Have you created any reusable school lunch ideas? I’d love to hear how you’re reducing lunch-related waste in the comments!
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!