Published on September 27th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell1
Fall Crafts: Revamp Faux Pumpkins with Recycled Paper!
Searching for simple fall crafts to spruce up your decor? Revamp faux pumpkins with recycled paper!
While thrifting, I came across several faux pumpkins– you know, the plastic kind that are kind of tacky? While faux pumpkins aren’t exactly eco-friendly, reusing is green! I bought the faux pumpkins with this book page pumpkin tutorial in mind. Here’s how you can take your faux pumpkins from drab to fab!
What You Will Need:
1. A faux pumpkin that needs revamping. Mine is pretty ugly, right?
2. Recycled paper. I used book pages.
3. School glue. If you can, use eco-glue!
4. A stick
5. Hot glue/hot glue gun
6. A small paint brush (optional)
How To Do It:
1. Clean your faux pumpkin of all that thrift store loveliness.
2. Remove the plastic stem from the pumpkin if possible.
3. Rip your recycled paper into small pieces.
4. Mix your school glue with a little bit of water. You will want the mixture to have the consistency of soup.
5. With a small paint brush (or with your hands), spread the glue mixture onto the pumpkin. You will want to work in small sections. Spread the glue, put your paper down, and put more glue on top.
6. While your pumpkin dries, go outside and find a stick for the stem of your pumpkin. Then, cut it to size.
7. Once the pumpkin has completely dried, hot glue the “stem” to the pumpkin.
The faux pumpkin that was once ugly, is now adorable! I can’t wait to scatter a few of them around my home. They would look awesome on a fireplace mantle or as a centerpiece, too! For a neutral look, spray paint your pumpkins white with low VOC spray paint.
Where would you use these paper pumpkins?
If you want to see more awesome and eco-friendly pumpkin ideas, check these out:
- Eek-O-Friendly Halloween Ideas
- Holiday Crafts: Repurpose a Wooden Spool into a Pumpkin
- Recycled Paper Pumpkins
- Embroidery Hoop Pumpkins
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!