Needlecrafts + Fiber Arts upcycled cardboard embroidery floss spool (3 of 3)

Published on April 2nd, 2013 | by Julie Finn

How-to: Upcycled Cardboard Embroidery Floss Spools

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

upcycled cardboard embroidery floss spool (3 of 3)My favorite embroidery floss spools are made not just of recycled, recyclable cardboard, but are also pretty awesome.

One cardboard spool has Art Garfunkel’s face on it, and another has Cookie Monster’s. One shows a scene from Gone with the Wind, and one shows that cocky grin sported by Maverick in Top Gun.

I crafted my DIY cardboard embroidery floss spools from old cardboard record album covers, but maybe you’d prefer to use cereal boxes, so that you can sport Tony the Tiger and Toucan Sam on your spools, or brown mailing boxes, so that you can ink in your own labels and clever sketches.

Either way, DIY cardboard embroidery floss spools are quick to make, at least as sturdy as store-bought floss spools, and they’re free!

Here’s how to make your own:

Next >> How to Make the Spools

Spread the love:

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Plusone Tumblr Email

Tags: , , ,

I'm a writer, crafter, Zombie Preparedness Planner, and homeschooling momma of two kids who will hopefully someday transition into using their genius for good, not the evil machinations and mess-making in which they currently indulge. I'm interested in recycling and nature crafts, food security, STEM education, and the DIY lifestyle, however it's manifested--making myself some underwear out of T-shirts? Done it. Teaching myself guitar? Doing it right now. Visit my blog Craft Knife for a peek at our very weird handmade homeschool life; my etsy shop Pumpkin+Bear for a truly odd number of rainbow-themed beeswax pretties; and my for links to articles about poverty, educational politics, and this famous cat who lives in my neighborhood.

8 Responses to How-to: Upcycled Cardboard Embroidery Floss Spools

1. jessica says:

brilliant! yer right, they are pretty…my floss is all stuffed into a jar getting tangled. i need to do this…sadly, the only cardboard we have is not nearly so pretty.

2. Marti says:

Yours are so much prettier than mine. I usually use the cards from the inside of magazines or junk mail.

• Julie Finn says:

And they don’t bend? I don’t know why I keep thinking that the cardboard has to be so sturdy–I just REALLY like cardboard, I think. But now I’ll start using pretty cardstock-weight papers, too!

3. Jannie says:

I use sponge hair curlers. That way my floss doesn’t have dents in it.

4. Tina says:

I have a shameful confession to make. When I say this post in my reader, I thought, “Why bother? The plastic bag as been working for the last few years.” I didn’t even bother reading the post

Yesterday I decided to put all my embroidery floss in a newly acquired glass jar. As I pulled out the jumbled mess, I realized that the plastic bag had not really worked out well. I used the included spools to make more. Now I have a very pretty jar of unused embroidery floss and one of “opened” floss wound onto spools.

Should have just read this earlier and realized there is a reason for those spools :0)

• Julie Finn says:

Properly winding embroidery floss and yarn, and properly folding fabric, is one of those things that I never *want* to do, but I’m always glad when I’ve done it. And when I haven’t done it properly, which is also often, I’m always irritated at myself. I made an order of bean bags the other day, and it was ridiculously clear by how much ironing I had to do which of my bean bag fabrics I had stored properly and which I hadn’t.

5. Pingback: DIY friendship bracelet kit | Making Mondays

6. Kimmy says:

Thanks for the quick tutorial, I linked to it on my blog today. Yours was the best tutorial I found, simple yet cute!