Published on July 13th, 2012 | by Bonnie Getchell2
Repurposed Organizer from a Desk Drawer
The previous tenant of the home I just moved into left an old wooden desk in the storage shed. It would be beautiful with a makeover, but it’s missing several drawers. I’m not quite sure what to do with it yet, so I decided to give a purpose to one of the larger drawers this week.
My roommate and I needed something to organize our jewelry, make-up, and perfumes in our bathroom, so I transformed the drawer into an organizer! Often times you can find random drawers at thrift stores or garage sales– instead of passing them by, you repurpose one into a handy organizer!
How To Do It:
1. Wipe down your drawer. Mine had a lot of dust/dirt on it and a sticker.
2. Use the smaller spaces for jewelry. I used one section for rings, one section for earrings, and one section for hair pins. The other larger sections I used for necklaces.
3. Fill it with other items you need. Here are some examples:
- I put two small and colorful baskets that I got at a thrift store in the back corner. I also randomly placed doilies that I got at a garage sale– they give that vintage look that I love.
- I also followed this tutorial from Pure and Noble to make a cute stand for bracelets. All you need is a candle stick, an old plate, and a hot glue gun!
- I love teacups so I used a tea cup from a garage sale to hang my earrings– it adds color and character!
There are so many items that you could use to hang jewelry on, organize make-up, or simply showcase your items. Be creative! Although I took pictures of my repurposed desk drawer in my room, I plan on putting it in the bathroom closet. It will provide an adorable way for my roommate and I to organize and showcase our everyday items. What would you put in a repurposed drawer? Share your ideas on our facebook wall or in the comment section below!
Looking for more organizing ideas? Check these out:
- 10 Repurposed Accessory Storage Ideas
- 5 Eco-Friendly Organizing Projects
- Your Craft Space: 6 Projects to Get You Organized
- Keeping a Craft Room Green and Organized
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!