Published on December 30th, 2011 | by Bonnie Getchell5
How To: New Year’s Eve “Resolution Tree”
When I saw this Thanksgiving post from Dana at Make Them Wonder, I completely fell in love with her Thanksgiving tree. In the post, she explains that she created a tree for guests to hang what they are thankful for on cute little leaves that she cut out of paper. Her tree is so simple, yet beautiful– and would be an amazing conversation piece. I decided that I would use Dana’s idea and tweak it a little bit to become a New Year’s Eve resolution tree! I also made it more eco-friendly by using old newspaper instead of new paper. In addition to the New Year’s Eve Banner I made yesterday, your New Year’s Eve party will be off to a great start!
What You Will Need:
5. A marker or sharpie.
6. Hole punch or something to make a hole in the top of your newspaper.
How To Do It:
1. Draw the shape of your choice on your newspaper. I decided to do a circle because I could use my coffee cup as a stencil. I traced my shape on an area of the newspaper that had an article, rather than tracing my shape on a picture or advertisement–that way it is easier to see your guests’ resolutions.
2. Cut out your shape. You will want to create enough shapes for each of your guests to write a resolution. Here are my circles:
3. Then, you will need to punch a hole in the top of your circles to put the twine through. I didn’t have a hole punch, but I used a large nail and pushed it through the paper to make a hole. I tried to take a picture of this step, but it’s very hard to take a picture of yourself pushing a nail through a piece of paper! If you decide to use a nail like I did, please be careful!
4. Once you punched your holes, cut a small piece of twine and put it through your hole. I simply tied the twine together to make a loop.
5. Now you will make your “tree.” Gather several branches from outside. I walked around our yard and gathered ones that were on the ground. Then, I put the branches in a vase.
6. For the purpose of pictures, I wrote down some of my resolutions for the year along with some common resolutions most people have (like losing weight, etc). I would suggest putting a few on the tree when your guests arrive so they know the purpose of the tree. In addition, I would put a small basket next to the tree with your newspaper circles in it so they may grab a circle to write their resolution on. As your guests arrive, you can explain what the tree means, or you can put a small sign next to the basket–it’s totally up to you!
Here is my tree! I put a small wreath around the base of the vase to give it a pop of color.
Some close ups:
This is an easy project to make, but has such a big impact because it adds height, color, and a natural element to your decorations. The tree would be a perfect table centerpiece!
What do you think?
Looking For More New Year’s Craft/Organizing Ideas? Check out these posts:
- Easy Organizational Pages to Include in Your Daily Planner
- How To: Inspiration Board for the New Year
- 5 Eco-Friendly Organizing Projects
- How To: A “Happy New Year” Banner from Old Christmas Cards
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!